Syncing folder with DropBox

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.26Ghz 8GB RAM
I'm running Snow Leopard and want the contents of the DropBox folder to sync with another folder. How do I set that up with Automator or AppleScript? I've no experience of either.

Reaction score
G'day Mikethebook

I'm assuming you just want to copy items added to the dropbox into a destination folder? (ie. not an actual 'syncing' of the two folders).
You could set that up as a Folder Action Script attached to your dropbox. Not sure if the procedure is the same for Snow Leopard — see how you go.

Copy this into Script Editor (found in Applications > Applescript) :
Code:
on adding folder items to mgFolder after receiving mgFiles
  set mgFolder to "Macintosh HD:Users:macgrunt:Desktop:Duplicates Folder:"
  tell application "Finder"
    duplicate mgFiles to mgFolder
  end tell
end adding folder items to

You need to reset that path within double-quotes to your own destination folder. The easiest way to get the path is to select your destination folder in the finder and then run this from Script Editor :
Code:
tell application "Finder"
  get selection as string
end tell
That will give you the folder path in your results window.

OK, once you've updated the script to your setup, it needs to be saved (as a script) into the Folder Action Scripts folder — somewhere like this : Macintosh HD:Library:Scripts:Folder Action Scripts:

Then right-click on your dropbox and go down to "More..."
If you see "Enable Folder Actions", choose that.
Then right-click again and choose "Attach Folder Action".

The rest should be straight-forward.

Hope that helps.

m.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.26Ghz 8GB RAM
Thanks for your help but I actually want things the other way round. I want to copy items added to a certain folder to be automatically added to Dropbox and for items removed from the folder to also be removed from Dropbox.s So I guess that I do want Dropbox to sync with this folder.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Thanks for your help but I actually want things the other way round. I want to copy items added to a certain folder to be automatically added to Dropbox and for items removed from the folder to also be removed from Dropbox.s So I guess that I do want Dropbox to sync with this folder.

But that's what Dropbox is - a local folder on your drive that syncs with dropbox. If you have to do one outside of Dropbox - you'll need to use symlinks I believe - but back when I was considering something similar it ended up feeling like a waste since it's just an extra step for what Dropbox is natively designed to do.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm with BrianLachoreVPI - this is what the Dropbox folder is for. It might help if we know why you want to do this since it seems like a more efficient solution might be possible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.