AHT Error

Reaction score
I have an iMac 20" 1GB ram 250GB HDD. Recently taking extremely long to load and shutdown & sometimes it just gets stuck on the grey apple loading screen w/spinning wheel on startup. I've tried rebooting into safe boot and single user. works temporarily when safe booted. reset permissions in single user mode and still have the same problems. For some reason it will not let me boot into verbose only get blinking folder w/? on it which happens sometimes when i attempt the aht. I didnt have many important files so i attempted wiping hdd clean and reinstalling os. But it still does the same thing. I finally ran the aht and got error code 4HDD/11/40000000:SATA(0,0). What does this mean? is my hdd or hdd cable shot?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Yes, you have analyzed it correctly - either the hard drive or the cable -- and we can't tell which without experimenting/swapping.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've tried rebooting into safe boot and single user. works temporarily when safe booted. reset permissions in single user mode and still have the same problems.

Very likely the hard drive. If the SATA cable were bad, you couldn't do the above. An iMac is a bear to swap out a hard drive but can be done with patience and the right tools. Go to iFixit: The free repair manual and look up the procedure.

OP
G
Reaction score
Very likely the hard drive. If the SATA cable were bad, you couldn't do the above. An iMac is a bear to swap out a hard drive but can be done with patience and the right tools. Go to iFixit: The free repair manual and look up the procedure.

Guess I'll give it a shot. I tooled around w/numerous pcs & gaming systems but never a Mac. Never really had a problem w/one till now. Always wondered how they get everything to fit in there. Seems pretty cramped.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.