Can I recover data from a Mac hard drive to a PC

Reaction score
My mothers iMac (model A1173) recently took a power hit and died (black screen, power button is nonfunctional...dead). She had docs etc. on it that she would prefer not to lose, and I'm sure that the hard drive is still
completely operational. She has decided (due to limited $$) not to risk the price of the power supply and so is buying a replacement, either PC (again $$) or a refurbished Mac. Either way I would like to pull her old hard drive and recover the data.
Is it possible to hook the drive to my PC and read it? I know Macs have different formatting, but are there programs that would allow this?
I think recovery facilities are expensive, so we would greatly appreciate any other suggestions for how I can retrieve her data.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
*Deleted incorrect information*

You could also use the program MacDrive to make the hard drive writeable from windows 7/XP.

C

chas_m

miles: unless something HUGE has changed VERY recently, your info is 100% wrong. Windows PCs *cannot* read mac-formatted drives AT ALL without third-party software such as the one you mentioned.

I'd be happy to be wrong about this, but I don't think I am.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Well that's my mistake then, I guess I didn't realize that the bootcamp drivers were what let me read files from my OS X partition. I've updated my post to make it correct.

The OP still could buy and install MacDrive 9...sorry I don't know of a free option.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I believe the current version of Paragon NTFS also includes a driver which will allow reading HFS from a Windows machine. But not free. $19.95

C

chas_m

[the need for the original text of this message has vanished with the spam message that was above this]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
A theoretical suggestion, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work and/or not be legal:

If the OP's mother still has the install disks for her iMac could the OP use the Boot Camp drivers from it on a PC to access the HFS+ partitioned HDD, or are those drivers like OS X itself & only licenced for use on an Apple-branded computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Your best bet is to hook it up to the PC with a hard drive enclose.

A windows PC will not be able to read the disk format, however.......

If you boot the PC with an Ubuntu live CD, or create a smallish Ubuntu partition on the pC (which is easy to do when installing Ubuntu), then Ubuntu will be able to read the disk.

You may have to alter the permissions on the disk in Ubuntu but we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.