Problem with the IMac G5 clamping screws

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac G5, 20', 2.0GHz, 1Gig RAM, 250Gig HD, SuperDrive, OS X 10.4
Anyone have a bad experience with the Philips screws on the bottom of the IMac G5? My right side screw is now stuck in the open position (thus I can't lock it down). I've use all my strength to close it and it won't move. It is now starting to strip. I'm hoping I can replace that part as I don't think it will move with any additional force (I'm not consider a wimp nor someone not handy with tools). This dang clamping device is more stubborn than the rear break drum on a Chevy pickup.

Does anyone also know if you can purchase such parts or it I would need an entire new case? I believe I'm still under warranty. I just hope they don't try to tell me this is "user error".

Thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.33GHz 12" iBook; iMac G3 333Mhz; Use Dual 2Ghz PM G5's
How did that happen?!

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
validpretense said:
How did that happen?!

I opened the case to place my RAM back in (had to remove it to ensure it wasn't the cause of my sudden shutdowns). When I put the case back on I could not tighten the screw. Strange, I know. I've tried to turn it so much with such force the screw is almost stripped. I've put some serious torque to it and it just wont give. Looks like a trip to the Genius desk for me....bummer...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
have you removed teh cover and made sure there is nothing impeding the locking mechanism? also verify you have it seated right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5 17 inch w/ 1 gig of ram, 6 gb ipod mini, and 12" Powerbook G4
fearlessfreap24 said:
have you removed teh cover and made sure there is nothing impeding the locking mechanism? also verify you have it seated right.
I have had the same thing when i put my ram in my far right screw will not tighten nor loosen, i called apple and they said it was no big deal.... i know it sucks but i got over it

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Conehead778 said:
I have had the same thing when i put my ram in my far right screw will not tighten nor loosen, i called apple and they said it was no big deal.... i know it sucks but i got over it

Did they replace the closing mechanism for you?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.