Moved OS to SSD but can't delete off HDD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2011 15" 2.0Ghz (hi-res, Momentus XT). 32GB iPhone 4.
Hey guys,

Got a bit of an issue. I've just swapped out my superdrive with a caddy in my 2011 MBP. I've put the old 7200rpm 500gb in the caddy and put a corsair Force 3 in the standard HDD slot.

I used Carbon Copy to transfer the OS and Apps to the SSD and that's worked fine. I've relocated my user directory and my computer is now quicker and everything still works. I'm now wanting to delete the OS and apps off the HDD as it's no longer required. I've moved everything to trash and clicked empty trash but it keeps getting stuck. I left the computer over night and it deleted about 1gb of files (which it did immediately after emptying trash then it got stuck overnight).

I'm really not sure what's causing this issue and the only way I can think of fixing it is to backup my files from my 500gb drive onto an external, format and then copy it back, not something I'm overly keen on doing.

Any recommendations? Is there a program I can use to bypass trash?

PS: I've tried force quitting Finder and then emptying trash again, it still gets stuck.

Thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Booted from the SSD, go into Disk Utility and see if the HDD appears there. If so, select, go to erase, erase and format Mac OS Extended (Journalled) into Partition, opt for one single partition and under options made sure GUID is selected.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2011 15" 2.0Ghz (hi-res, Momentus XT). 32GB iPhone 4.
Booted from the SSD, go into Disk Utility and see if the HDD appears there. If so, select, go to erase, erase and format Mac OS Extended (Journalled) into Partition, opt for one single partition and under options made sure GUID is selected.

Only issue is that this process would erase over 300gb of data that I want to keep as originally stated.

I downloaded Trash It which seemed to fix it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.