New Internal Harddrive Problem..

Reaction score
I have a 13inch Unibody Mac (Late 09).

I replaced the standard 2"5 250gb toshiba HD with a 2"5 500gb Seagate one.
I cloned the original HD to the new HD and it worked fine for about 24hours. The only difference being an extra 250gb free space as intended. Then the next day when I started up my mac, the apple loading screen was loading for ages then nothing happened. Can't use it anymore. Had to put the 250gb HD back in.

Is there anything i can do to do the 500gb Harddrive to make it work?
Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How did you clone the 250 GB drive to the 500 GB Seagate? What software did you use?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've done the same exact procedure many times and it has always worked using the same software - CCC.

The only thing I can suggest is this: Erase and format the 500 GB drive again. Make sure you format it as HFS Extended Journaled, GUID partition scheme. Run CCC once more to clone your 250 GB to the 500 GB. Then use Disk Utility to extend the cloned portion to encompass the entire drive. In other words, make sure the 500 GB is one complete partition not just one 250 GB and 250 GB of unused space.

I hope you follow what I said above. If not, post back.

OP
C
Reaction score
I'll attempt that later. Never done that before. Thanks for the help! Hopefully it'll sort out my problem. I'll get back to you if it fails once again. Could just be a faulty HD.

OP
C
Reaction score
I went onto disk utility after the cloned and went onto the partition bit. Theres one partition of 499.76gb. I'm guessing thats what its supposed to be, correct? But this is what I did last week and it messed up after a day.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, the one partition of 499.76 GB is correct. It looks like CCC worked OK. I can't tell you why the drive failed after a day. The drive could be defective. Try cloning it again to see what happens. If the drive fails again, return it for another.

OP
C
Reaction score
So if this step doesn't work then it's most likely a bad harddrive?
Thanks for the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.