Upload DVD Movie ?

Reaction score
Hi group,
I am new to the forums. I did a "search" first, but unable to find a direct answer, so thought I would ask.

I presently have an iMac. My question is - can I upload a DVD movie that I own, install it on the iMac, then download same to an iPad ? It seems logical I should be able to do this, as I can upload my CD music to the iTunes library and download same to my iPhone.

When I attempt to upload a DVD movie, the iMac will play it as a full movie. But I can't find any way to "save" the movie to the iMac.

Thank you in advance,
Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
It does make a lot of sense for you to be able to do that, but unfortunately there's an odd quirk of US law (the Digital Millennium Copyright Act) that makes the software you'd need to do this illegal. (Actually doing it for personal use would be legal, but the tools to do so is not. That's US law for you.) This type of software is not needed for CDs, so that is legal for personal use.

This forum's policy is to respect US law, so that's about all we can say about that.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you

Thank you for your responses. I thought the problem was due to my unsophisticated computer skills. Glad to know the actual reason. Now I can give up on the idea of uploading a movie. Disappointed, but we are all in the same boat.

Best wishes and have a nice Thanksgiving holiday !
Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Without wishing to promote anything considered illegal, you can simply drag the VIDEO_TS folder from the DVD disc image to your desktop.
That requires no illegal software, and then you could put it on your iPad. It will play as a DVD from the menu in DVD Player or VLC.

C

chas_m

Without wishing to promote anything considered illegal, you can simply drag the VIDEO_TS folder from the DVD disc image to your desktop.
That requires no illegal software, and then you could put it on your iPad. It will play as a DVD from the menu in DVD Player or VLC.

Um, no.

Most commercial movie DVDs have anti-copying technology built into them, so you can't successfully copy the VIDEO_TS folder to the drive, in fact (just tried it with a Harry Potter DVD to be sure; it didn't work). What's more, even if you could copy the VIDEO_TS to the hard drive, an iPad wouldn't have the faintest idea what to do with it, as you can't get such a folder into iTunes in the first place. VLC (on your computer) *might* play a successfully copied DVD VIDEO_TS folder, but iTunes doesn't recognize it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Um, no.

Most commercial movie DVDs have anti-copying technology built into them, so you can't successfully copy the VIDEO_TS folder to the drive, in fact (just tried it with a Harry Potter DVD to be sure; it didn't work). What's more, even if you could copy the VIDEO_TS to the hard drive, an iPad wouldn't have the faintest idea what to do with it, as you can't get such a folder into iTunes in the first place. VLC (on your computer) *might* play a successfully copied DVD VIDEO_TS folder, but iTunes doesn't recognize it.

I'm going to retry this, it has worked in the past for me. That said, if the iPad does not have the ability to use VLC/DVD Player, then it won't work (don't own an iPad). For sure it won't work in iTunes though.

C

chas_m

There was a VLC for iPad, but it's long since been discontinued and is unavailable. It didn't work all that great quite frankly (struggled with some file formats, at least on an original iPad -- the newer iPad probably has the horsepower but the issue is moot).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.