Downloading from dropbox

Reaction score
First beginners question: I hope one ( or more ) of you who eat, breathe and dream Apple will have an explanation for me. I clicked the download link for a file stored in Dropbox. What happened next is that the download link populated by browser's (Safari) address bar and the screen turned black. Nothing else happened. Usually downloads open a download window in the brewer bar and sends the file to my downloads folder. In this case I copied and pasted the link into speed download and got the file. This does not happen too often, but other site links end up in the address bar, too and I cannot figure out what is happening. Any causes and answers? Thanks!

George
Spring Lake NC

C

chas_m

The problem is being caused by Speed Download. It is (to put it as politely as I can) crapware. Uninstall it forthwith.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 imac
I concur with chas-m.
In each case of several so called speed downloading software, it is complete and utter crap.
If you want speed then you need to have more bandwidth , not software accelerators.
They are simply bloat, and are only a means for the distributer to make Ill gotten gains from the unknowing.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thank you for your recommendation. I have removed 'speed download' from my MBP.
However, this did not change the result I got when I tried to download the same file from dropbox this morning. Inasmuch as neither of you, chas_m and Maxtcc, made no recommend for a replacement download manager, I have to believe that the integrated one in Safari is fine on its own. If this is true, then my download link might be the culprit.
The file ends with .pdf.zip Is this file extension the problem?

Chas_m, I read your essay and I am happy to report that I am doing much of what you outline for a healthy mac. That was a surprise for me! I am taking down notes about YASU for future download.

Any thoughts about download links ending up in the browser address bar is welcomed.

George

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 imac
The extension should not be a problem I double checked this morning and pdf.zip files work fine. So I assume you are familiar with Drop box and how to use it.
When you say you use the download link , when you right click on the doc does it look like this?:
644450a3.png

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Thank you for your recommendation. I have removed 'speed download' from my MBP.
Did you uninstall it using the uninstaller? A common mistake amongst new users is to uninstall software without using uninstallers if one is required. This is even more problematic with download managers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 imac
Here is a link for Appcleaner.:
AppCleaner (Mac) - Download
which is a FREE app, it is idiot proof and if you enable smart delete,"AppCleaner is by far the best. Go into preferences and activate SmartDelete so that it is integrated into the default system trash." ,from smart monkey.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
App Cleaner is not going to do the job for applications that have deep hooks into the system and this includes SD (which is relatively "shallow" compared to some other products). I've seen too many people try to uninstall download managers manually only to have worse problems in the future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 imac
So What would you suggest as a manner to uninstall apps van smith?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
App Cleaner works fine for apps that are installed using an installer (ones that you simply drag to the machine). If something is installed using an installer, it's best to see if there is an uninstaller. Simply put, if there's an installer, there's a reason (files are put all over the filesystem) so it's best to see if there is an uninstaller or special instructions for its removal.

OP
G
Reaction score
Notes for van smith & Maxtcc

For vansmith - yes, I did use the uninstaller.

For Maxtcc - Interesting... my initial download was by going online to my site and then to the downloads page and clicked that link and the problem ensued.

I downloaded the file directly from dropbox today as per you image and it download correctly. I saw the animation flash over to the download button on my browser toolbar.

Is my problem that I cannot expect to properly download a file from my MBP which is the unit that uploaded the site in the first place? If so, I can live with that; I just need to know that's not a correct process . I want to be sure that my visitors (family) won't experience the same download issue.
I just told them about the site and will know one way or the other soon.

Many thanks to all for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.