word 2008 or

Reaction score
For some reason when I do a spell check and it finds a word not in the dictionary, the ADD box is grayed so I can not add it. How do I rectify that - so I can select ADD and it is added to the dictionary? Thank you, anyone. Jim

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Open Word. Select Preferences and click on Spelling and Grammar. Click on the box that states "Dictionaries". Name a dictionary or use the standard "Custom Dictionary". Make sure it then shows up in the selection box. Now restart Word. You should be able to add to the custom dictionary any word that is not normally in the standard Word dictionary.

I actually have several custom dictionaries setup for special usage depending on what I'm working on. The idea is to name them differently. The format for the custom dictionaries is plain text.

OP
J
Reaction score
Reply to chscag about Word2008 spell checker

Ta dah. Thank you. I never had to do that before in any previous version. Though I had tried that using the 'custom' dictionary. I must have done it wrong. But this time I tried adding a new one with a new name, and Voila!
Thanks again, Jim.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.