Parallels KILLS Bluetooth on Lion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp2.2G core2D, 4g ddr2, 750g, 1TB external, 80g I-Pod,iPad2 16g
I rarely use XP these days, only to check that a web site looks ok on Microsoft IE and to back up my Nokia to PC Suite.

However, first time syncing since installing Lion, I have found that XP/Parallels breaks the Bluetooth on my MBP. What I mean is that although Bluetooth works under Lion fine, and I can transfer pictures via it - when I start Parallels and try to use the still running bluetooth the Bluetooth ceases to function.
When I click onto the Bluetooth sign on the Applications Shelf at the bottom of the screen it says that there no Bluetooth device on the computer!!!

The only way to re-instate it is to Re-start the computer.

So what's going on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
Isn't there a way to choose where you want to use your bluetooth? As in you choose between Paralells or Mac? I believe it was in the Parallels configuration, same as choosing whether you want USB connected devices to operate on Parallels or Mac.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Isn't there a way to choose where you want to use your bluetooth? As in you choose between Paralells or Mac? I believe it was in the Parallels configuration, same as choosing whether you want USB connected devices to operate on Parallels or Mac.

Yes, you're right. Under preferences in Parallels 7 you can chose the usb controller to work with the virtual disc, so I can connect my Nokia by usb cable now.
However the problem comes when you try to use bluetooth because you are told that certain Apple drivers are needed and that they are on the OSX installation disc. OK when I had Snow Leopard but now with downloaded Lion.....what do I do?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Something else may be going on here> I have an XP Bootcamp partition that is the basis for a Parallels installation. Even under Parallels Bluetooth seems to be functioning OK on my 2008 MacBook Pro.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The message "Cannot use the connection type. Check that all the needed hardware, software and drivers are available" comes up in PC Suite when I try to check Bluetooth in Nokia Connection Manager. I have reinstalled the Parallels Tools and restarted XP and still got the same result.

Needless to say bluetooth works fine under Lion but for this process I have tried it switched off and switched on. When it is previously 'on' that is when Parallels/XP 'breaks it'.

Are the drivers on the XP disc...I think not, with Parallels or with OSX? If it is the latter then I think, then, that I am stuffed as I bought Lion as a download.

Or have you got an idea?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Blue Tooth drivers should be provided by Parallels. Once XP is virtualized and running under Parallels all device drivers are Parallels derived not OS X. If you're having difficulty getting your Nokia to pair, I suggest posting the problem in the Parallels user forums where perhaps someone can offer a solution.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.