Password RECOVERY for MacBook Pro?

Reaction score
New to this place, trying to get help I can't seem to be able to get elsewhere.

Almost a year ago my son died as a result from an accident.

His MacBook Pro's password has sentimental value to his Mother and I would like to find out if there is a way to recover that password.

The mac store would re-set it but as I said we would rather keep it than having it re-set.

Someone who knows about these things please help.

Thank you!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sorry to hear of your son's death and wish there were some easy way to recover that password but unfortunately there is not. As the folks at the Apple store stated, it can be reset, however, since it's encrypted into the system it's unrecoverable by any normal means. Perhaps someone else may have a viable suggestion.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you chscag.

I was having in mind how the FBI ;P etc. can recover PW's so I hope someone with the necessary skills is able to do so as well.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
New to this place, trying to get help I can't seem to be able to get elsewhere.

Almost a year ago my son died as a result from an accident.

His MacBook Pro's password has sentimental value to his Mother and I would like to find out if there is a way to recover that password.

The mac store would re-set it but as I said we would rather keep it than having it re-set.

Someone who knows about these things please help.

Thank you!

First, I am sorry about your loss and do not intend at all to be insensitive.

But, there is no way that a password that she does not know can truly have sentimental value . . . I also understand, having gone through grieving more times than I care to remember that we don't reason logically about these kinds of things. But, what I think she is looking for is something that connects it in her mind with your son.

The best thing I can suggest, because as chscag stated, the actual password is unrecoverable, would be to have it reset to something that would have had shared meaning for your son and you and your wife . . . possibly a variant of a pet's name or something your son was interested in.

Hope this helps, and again, sorry for your loss.

OP
S
Reaction score
First, I am sorry about your loss and do not intend at all to be insensitive.

No man why would I take that the wrong way?

The sad part here is my sons x GF has that PW and it is the same it is for his Face Book account.

Instead of her changing the FB password so she can keep tampering with his account on there and giving my wife the Mac Book one she refuses to do so.

So yeah...I guess we gotta "cut our losses" and simply move on here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums and condolences.

Have sent a PM to you with what may, and that is may, be a work around the firmware password protection set up. Be aware it is a 50/50 proposition. No doubt your son had it set to prevent theft.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.