Ipad 2...Help??

Reaction score
I bought my Ipad 2 on Sunday but just opened it today and my friend told me about this cool website that you can see that production date etc by the serial#. The website is powerbookmedic.com the weird thing is it's saying this about my Ipad 2. Production Year: 2011
Production Week: 28 (July)
Production Number: 30893
So does that mean it was made in July that seems weird since it's now November and it even came with Ios 5. Just worried and thinking about returning it for a new Ipad 2 since I bought it less than a week ago. Let me know what you think. Help!! Thanks.

OP
B
Reaction score
I bought my Ipad 2 on Sunday but just opened it today and my friend told me about this cool website that you can see that production date etc by the serial#. The website is powerbookmedic.com the weird thing is it's saying this about my Ipad 2. Production Year: 2011
So does that mean it was made in July that seems weird since it's now November and it even came with Ios 5. Just worried and thinking about returning it for a new Ipad 2 since I bought it less than a week ago. Let me know what you think. Help!! Thanks.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD

1) First of all the production date is an interpretation of the serial number, rather than the actual date from Apple's database
2) There is no way your iPad2 could have been produced in July and come with IOS 5 installed if you bought it new. I can guarantee they don't unbox, update and rebox (unless you bought yours refurbished which you don't indicate)
3) What difference would it make anyway, unless you bought expecting new and instead received a refurb unit

If I were you, I would call or email the supplier (Best Buy, Apple, Amazon etc) whoever you purchased it from and have them confirm that you in fact purchased and new in box iPad. If it is then enjoy your iPad and don't worry about it.
If not, they either owe you a discount or a return and refund

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

BTW: Multiple postings are frowned upon by the mods. I posted to the other thread with a response to your question

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Merged Duplicate threads. Please only post one thread per question.

OP
B
Reaction score
I bought it from Best Buy brand new on Sunday so just a few days ago not even a week. I am only concerned because I bought brand new and I expect to get a brand new one.

1) First of all the production date is an interpretation of the serial number, rather than the actual date from Apple's database
2) There is no way your iPad2 could have been produced in July and come with IOS 5 installed if you bought it new. I can guarantee they don't unbox, update and rebox (unless you bought yours refurbished which you don't indicate)
3) What difference would it make anyway, unless you bought expecting new and instead received a refurb unit

If I were you, I would call or email the supplier (Best Buy, Apple, Amazon etc) whoever you purchased it from and have them confirm that you in fact purchased and new in box iPad. If it is then enjoy your iPad and don't worry about it.
If not, they either owe you a discount or a return and refund

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
If the box was sealed, then it's fair to assume that it is brand new. Just because it was manufactured in July, doesn't mean it left Apple (or wherever they go after being made in China) until after iOS5 was released. I.e it was assembled in July and was assigned a serial number then, it then sat around at Apple (or wherever) for 3-4 months, and was loaded up with iOS5, boxed, then shipped to BestBuy.

If there's nothing wrong with it and it works, I'm failing to see what the issue is here.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I bought it from Best Buy brand new on Sunday so just a few days ago not even a week. I am only concerned because I bought brand new and I expect to get a brand new one.

Then all is well.

Brand new means you are the first owner and it is unused, not that it was just produced.
As Chuckoir mentioned, the most likely thing is it started through the process (perhaps as early as July--though I would doubt that, still suspect the date correlation off of the serial number isn't accurate) was completed for packout and shipment around the time of IOS 5 release (Aug-Sep) and has spent the remainder of time in transit and Best Buy inventory.

I wouldn't worry about it.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks. Best Buy was out of them but they got a truck and put it on hold for me and I picked it up the same day so if anything maybe it was sitting at Apple for a few months. I was just not sure if that is normal.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. Best Buy was out of them but they got a truck and put it on hold for me and I picked it up the same day so if anything maybe it was sitting at Apple for a few months. I was just not sure if that is normal.

Highly unlikely that it sat around Apple for months.

When I got my iPad2 the total elapsed time from the factory to me was under a week (and I followed the progress every step of the way via FEDEX tracking--yeah, I know, but I was anxious to get it in my hot little hands).

You have a brand new iPad2; enjoy it. I love mine!

OP
B
Reaction score
I am thinking the same thing. Maybe that website is just wrong..

Highly unlikely that it sat around Apple for months.

When I got my iPad2 the total elapsed time from the factory to me was under a week (and I followed the progress every step of the way via FEDEX tracking--yeah, I know, but I was anxious to get it in my hot little hands).

You have a brand new iPad2; enjoy it. I love mine!

C

chas_m

Correction, Razormac: highly LIKELY that it sat around (in China) for a few months.

Apple tries to keep up with demand by stockpiling whenever they can. It sounds to me like the *logic board* was made in July but the unit was not fully assembled until much closer to the date the OP bought it (this would be completely normal). Impressing the OS on it is one of the VERY LAST steps in the production process.

In short, unless she has any evidence that she's not the first owner, this is a total non-issue and nothing at all out of the ordinary.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Correction, Razormac: highly LIKELY that it sat around (in China) for a few months.

Apple tries to keep up with demand by stockpiling whenever they can. It sounds to me like the *logic board* was made in July but the unit was not fully assembled until much closer to the date the OP bought it (this would be completely normal). Impressing the OS on it is one of the VERY LAST steps in the production process.

In short, unless she has any evidence that she's not the first owner, this is a total non-issue and nothing at all out of the ordinary.

Not really a correction, more of an expansion.

My first thought was exactly what you laid out that the date given was driven by manufacture of a key component or subassembly, with final assembly and OS install relatively recently.
My statement was intended to be, and I still believe it, that it is highly unlikely that the fully assembled and boxed iPad has been sitting in a warehouse in China for months. Especially given the continued strong demand.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.