windows and os x lion?

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum. If I didn't post this question at the right place, please let me know.

I was reading that you can install windows on mac and I was wondering if I lose os x lion if I do this or can I have access to both.

OP
D
Reaction score
Short answer - Yes.

Two main options:
1. Bootcamp - effectively you chose to start in OSX or Windows
2. A virtual machine (VMWare Fusion, Parallels, VirtualBox) - an application that lets you run Windows within the application.

Searching this very forum will turn up lots of info on the above topic but if you have a specific goal then post back and we'll be able to point you in a more specific direction.

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and to mac. I would like to install windows in order to play Diablo 2 (not the best of reason. I bought the game before knowing os x lion didn't support powerpc.)

Which method would you advise I follow for this? And how do I do it?
thanks for your help

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you were on an Intel based Mac, the installing Windows natively is possible through Boot Camp, if you are on a Power PC, then you have to go through a virtualization software like Virtual PC, Parallels, VMWare Fusion to install Windows. One of the downsides of using virtual machines is that they aren't usually very good for gaming..

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Boy are you in the wrong place..do read the description of the forums which should give you an idea of where to post..:)

Anyway..yes you natively install Windows on an Intel-based Mac through Boot Camp. A program that will allow you to make some room for Windows on your hard drive, then install Windows and provide all the necessary drivers for your Mac to Windows. Using this method, each time you boot up you will have to option of booting into Windows or OS X.

There are hundreds of posts/tutorials about this, so do read up and FULLY understand how to do it before doing it. More often than not, the novice user will end up blowing OS X away during the hard drive partitioning process and then wonder why they're just left with Windows. This is made worse when there is no active backup of your data on OS X.

Through the boot camp method, you will only boot into one OS at a time..if you wanted to always have Windows or any other OS ready while running OS X, then you'll want to use programs like Parallels or VMWare Fusion which create a virtual machine to run Windows in. Depending on what you want to run Windows for (short of gaming), the VM route is perfectly acceptable..

OP
D
Reaction score
Boy are you in the wrong place..do read the description of the forums which should give you an idea of where to post..:)

Anyway..yes you natively install Windows on an Intel-based Mac through Boot Camp. A program that will allow you to make some room for Windows on your hard drive, then install Windows and provide all the necessary drivers for your Mac to Windows. Using this method, each time you boot up you will have to option of booting into Windows or OS X.

There are hundreds of posts/tutorials about this, so do read up and FULLY understand how to do it before doing it. More often than not, the novice user will end up blowing OS X away during the hard drive partitioning process and then wonder why they're just left with Windows. This is made worse when there is no active backup of your data on OS X.

Through the boot camp method, you will only boot into one OS at a time..if you wanted to always have Windows or any other OS ready while running OS X, then you'll want to use programs like Parallels or VMWare Fusion which create a virtual machine to run Windows in. Depending on what you want to run Windows for (short of gaming), the VM route is perfectly acceptable..

Sorry I noticed that I was in the wrong place after I posted it. Thank you for your help. if there is any way to lock this or delete it, feel free to do it moderators or let me know how to delete it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Moved to appropriate forum and merged threads.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.