Networking iTunes over several iMacs

Reaction score
I run a video archive, currently on a mac mini server (approx. 2TB external) and would like to connect 5 iMacs to this. The idea is to put the films into the iTunes on the mac mini server, for the iMacs to access, but have no control over adding or deleting. Purely a view only option. Anyone have any ideas on whether this can happen, and if so, how easy is it?

Many thanx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad
You could enable Home Sharing but I'm not sure there is a way to stop them from being able to transfer the files onto the other Macs. The other option I would try is simply enable sharing of movies in iTunes on the network. You can change permissions of the movie file to make only the Mac mini have access to read/write and then the other users read only access. Just go to iTunes Preferences > Sharing > Click the box for share on network and select the folders you want to share. You can even enable password requirement to view the shared folder (which I would recommend) Then make sure that in Get Info for the file you are sharing that permissions are set the way you want. I haven't tried this but it seems like it could work and wouldn't take long to test.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.