A lot of applications keep crashing on my Mac

Reaction score
I have a relatively new Mac, and yesterday my problem started. Everytime I open anything in iWork '09 and Evernote, it crashes without even opening. When I open OpenOffice, it opens, lets me pick document, spread sheet, etc, then crashes.
I think it may be because of duplicate fonts, because I did have two duplicates.
I resolved duplicates but I read I should also download Font Nuke and run it. Should I do this, and it would it pose any threat to my Mac?
Also, if this isn't the problem, what might the problem be?
Thank you.
EDIT: This is not the problem. Or it might be, but Symbols won't resolve. So, I need help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Does a windows pop up on your screen saying that the app crashed? I would try a safe boot as well.

OP
A
Reaction score
A window pops up saying that _ quit unexpectedly, and I did try safe boot. Thank you for responding, they're still not working.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Use the Console Utility to read logs and see if there's a hint in those - around the time of a crash/quit.

Reaction score
I had this on my iMac and i found it was the hard drive starting to die so i swapped it out for an SSD moved everything over from a backup and its not crashed once, Also i now officially love SSD drives!!! :)

OP
A
Reaction score
Yesterday my Mac froze, still no fix found.
So I looked at Console Utility, and after the apps started crashing, it started saying
"Job appears to have crashed: Segmentation fault"
As of 1 pm today, it now says
"Job appears to have crashed: Abort trap"
I haven't an idea what that means. Also, the SSD drive sounds like a good idea, but it's a school computer. They might not appreciate that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ask for the original system install disc and boot from that and run Repair Disk under Utilities > Disk Utilities and see what is reported.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Sorry, that's not much help. Do you have your original Install DVD - it has Apple Hardware Test on it? Run that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I think it has to do with a An OS error. My iBook does this all of the time and something is getting corrupt, I have restored it twice And mine is doing it again. I think that it is some sort failure. Probably the hd.

OP
A
Reaction score
I don't have the original disc because my school never gave it to me.
How might I go about restoring it, and are there drawbacks?

OP
A
Reaction score
To anyone with similar problems: my school first wiped the memory and gave my computer back. It still had problems. They ended up having to replace the hard drive. All my problems here were only the tip of the iceberg. My computer was thoroughly and irreparably messed up. What seemed to be an irritating software problem was rather the beginning of the end.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Which is why suggestion to run Repair Disk from the system discs. Hope all goes well for you. Ask the school for the disc. If they have multi licenses ask for a copy.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you, but the problem was resolved with a new hard drive :) Or so they told me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.