dvd playback problems in dvd player and frontrow

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
Until yesterday I was able to play dvds in frontrow (having enabled it in Lion). However, now I get nothing. Frontrow allows me to select the dvd but then nothing, just a dark blank screen. With the dvd player app, when i select "open dvd media" i simply get the message:
"There was a problem opening the media
The media type is not supported"
However, the DVDs will play in VLC.
Any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OP
K
Reaction score
The itunes update is irrelivent. DVD Player that comes with OSX should work anyway.
Anybody have trouble with DVD Player?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No trouble playing DVDs here. What kind of DVDs are you trying to play? Are they region encoded for other than Region 1? Are they copies of something?

OP
K
Reaction score
The DVD's are original Region 2. I'm in europe. As I said beforehand, everything was working just fine until a few days ago.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
About the only other thing I can suggest is try cleaning the drive. A can of compressed air can be used to blow several blasts into the drive to see if that will do any good. It's possible the lens is dirty. If that doesn't do it, you may need to change out the drive.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK... Maybe we can get this straight. I just now tried to play a music DVD from Front Row and it would not play. I'm using the latest version of Lion and iTunes. Front Row gave me an error stating it could not find any music and referred me back to iTunes. The same DVD plays fine from iTunes and of course VLC.

This is from the Link I provided below:

Update: As several of you have discovered, the latest version of iTunes breaks compatibility with Front Row so that Front Row will no longer see your music. Most unfortunate.

I refer you back to my first post regarding iTunes. Please read the following from this LINK. They also describe a work around.

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm sorry to say but what is it that is not clear in my first post?
1. I have had Frontrow always working and reading DVDs even after upgrading to Lion several months ago. I used the same link you refer above to enable Frontrow in Lion.
2. A few days ago, my mac suddenly stopped playing DVDs in either Frontrow or DVD Player App.
3. DVDs still play normally with a third party application, in this case VLC.
4. DVDs are all genuine region 2.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm at a loss then as to what is causing your problem. Perhaps someone else can offer a suggestion or fix.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.