Transfer files from one user account to another

Reaction score
Hi Everyone - bought a new Mac running Lion, setup my Outlook, transferred over my pics and music, etc. Then when my IT guy setup a new account at Corp and joined our Domain (mainly Windows environment), I noticed that my files had disappeared until I realized that I had another user account. (both have exactly the same name). So I need to use this new account that is attached to our Domain at work. How do i xfer all of my files, settings, desktop and most importantly, Outlook, to the new user account? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
To be honest, the best thing to do is get corp IT to add your original user account to the domain, unless they insist on separate home and work accounts

OP
Z
Reaction score
To be honest, the best thing to do is get corp IT to add your original user account to the domain, unless they insist on separate home and work accounts

OK, I'll ask them. Doesn't anyone know of a way in case this doesn't fly?

OP
Z
Reaction score
it looks like he can't add my local account to the domain. it creates a new user account. So when i go into finder and then users, each of my folders has a lock on them. If i sign into the other account, can i remove this security so i can grab these files from my domain user account?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
OK, lets call them Account A and Account B. You want to transfer files from Account A to Account B.

When logged in to Account A, goto MacintoshHD>Users>Account B>Public>Drop Box. The Drop Box folder should have a little green arrow on it. If you double click on it, you will be told that you don't have access. That's OK. Just drag and drop the files that you want to transfer across.

When you log in to Account B, just go to that folder and your files should be there. The above is suitable for individual files, but could be a bit longwinded for all your settings etc.

OP
Z
Reaction score
OK, lets call them Account A and Account B. You want to transfer files from Account A to Account B.

When logged in to Account A, goto MacintoshHD>Users>Account B>Public>Drop Box. The Drop Box folder should have a little green arrow on it. If you double click on it, you will be told that you don't have access. That's OK. Just drag and drop the files that you want to transfer across.

When you log in to Account B, just go to that folder and your files should be there. The above is suitable for individual files, but could be a bit longwinded for all your settings etc.

So I did something similar to this and it's very frustrating. I set myself up as a root then i just did a file copy. now the files in the new system are all read only. also, when i try to rename a file, its asking me to authenticate it with my root user ID and password. :( Is there anyway to apply a global change to the files in my Documents folder and desktop? I am a newbie here and apparently i screwed something up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.