writing terminal code

Reaction score
Could somebody please tell me how to write code into terminal that would cause my mac book pro to not accept anything into the external drives when it is logged out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
I'm pretty sure you mean:
"Tell me how to execute a Terminal command" ?
(not the same as writing code - at least, not to me)

I just looked and my external is owned by root, a member of the group admin! (I'm a member of the admin group, too)
So I don't think there's an easy and troublefree way to do that.
Are other potential users admin users? If not, then it's easy.

OP
L
Reaction score
no there are no other user accounts on the computer. I just know a guy that has third party software that would bypass my login screen. I am looking for a way to block him out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
So, it sounds like the only way he can get into your computer is by using your password. Does he have your password?
Change your password to something more secure.

OP
L
Reaction score
No, he does not have my password. He has a third-party software disc that he puts into the computer that will hack my administrator account and allow him to change the password.

OP
L
Reaction score
If you do not know any terminal commands, then maybe you could tell me how to rewrite part of the computer's code in the system. I don't really know what to do. I was thinking that I could maybe rewrite the code so that the computer would not accept anything into the external drives when it is logged out. That would keep him from putting in his disc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
no there are no other user accounts on the computer. I just know a guy that has third party software that would bypass my login screen. I am looking for a way to block him out.

No, he does not have my password. He has a third-party software disc that he puts into the computer that will hack my administrator account and allow him to change the password.
You've got a larger problem here than a simple software issue. As I understand it here, someone is doing something to "hack" your account but to do so, they need access to your machine. The simple answer here is to not let this person use your machine. Second, if they really wanted to access your external HD, they would just take it. I'd suggest that the real issue here is a personal one and not a technical one.

OP
L
Reaction score
You've got a larger problem here than a simple software issue. As I understand it here, someone is doing something to "hack" your account but to do so, they need access to your machine. The simple answer here is to not let this person use your machine. Second, if they really wanted to access your external HD, they would just take it. I'd suggest that the real issue here is a personal one and not a technical one.

Yes, the person does have access to my computer. I don't have an external HD though. It seems to me like there should be a way to keep him out even if he has access to my computer. If you know of any ways I would really appreciate it.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Could somebody please tell me how to write code into terminal that would cause my mac book pro to not accept anything into the external drives when it is logged out?
If you don't have an external HD, what do you mean by "external drives"?

Yes, the person does have access to my computer. I don't have an external HD though. It seems to me like there should be a way to keep him out even if he has access to my computer. If you know of any ways I would really appreciate it.
It would seem like this person really knows what they're doing assuming they are able to bypass all security measures. Thus (as noted above), the best way to get around this is to simply prevent this person from accessing your machine. You may also want to think of legal action - depending on your jurisdiction, what this person is doing may be against the law (I'm not a lawyer so you'll have to look into this). I'd approach this person first since the legal route should probably be a last resort.

Who is this person anyway?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
First and foremost, there is really no way to prevent accessing a machine someone has physical access to. Period.

Personally, I'd suggest a safe.

OP
L
Reaction score
No, I don't have an external HD. Sorry, I meant into the disc drive or any of the usb ports. Yes, they are pretty smart. But it's all in this disc that he has. He doesn't really do much except put the disc into the drive. And it's just a person that I know. He doesn't use the disc on anyone's computer unless they have forgotten the password or something like that. He's never used it on my computer. I just was wondering if there was a way to stop something like that from happening to my computer.

OP
L
Reaction score
First and foremost, there is really no way to prevent accessing a machine someone has physical access to. Period.

Personally, I'd suggest a safe.

That kinda sucks. I mean if there is a way for someone to get into a computer like that then it seems to me that there should be a way to stop it. Thanks for your help though.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for providing some clarity. It had sounded as if this person was doing this on a regular basis to you. Who is this person anyway? A friend? IT?

There's nothing we can do if we don't know what software he's using. I also feel the need to repeat what I said earlier - don't let them get access to your machine. You have a MacBook Pro and you can therefore bring it with you. Again, it seems like the larger issue though is trust. Talk to this person if you know them and if not, like I said, prevent them from getting access to your machine.

Technically, there are two kernel extensions that control the operation of your optical drive. I suppose that it's possible to disable them somehow upon logging out (unload them, move them, etc) but doing so would require some technical expertise and risks breaking things.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The question that comes to me is.

Is this computer owned by you or someone else as in school, or job?

If it is your personal system, then like it was suggested, do not give physical access. If you don't own the system, then the question is moot.

OP
L
Reaction score
He is the IT guy at my college. Yeah, he probably would never use it on my computer, but I was just wondering if there was any way to stop someone else from using the same software. I don't know what software it is though, so I guess there's no way to block it.

OP
L
Reaction score
he question that comes to me is.

Is this computer owned by you or someone else as in school, or job?

If it is your personal system, then like it was suggested, do not give physical access. If you don't own the system, then the question is mute.

No, the computer is mine. I don't leave my computer anywhere. I was just wondering if there was any way to stop that from happening if I did happen to leave it somewhere. It just seems to me that there should be a way that a person should be able to block people with this kind of software.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The fact that this person is from IT makes this conversation largely irrelevant. IT personnel, as part of their job, have tools that allow them to do this.

Resetting a password isn't all that hard. In fact, Apple has instructions on their website that show you how to do this (here). In fact, if I carried around my Lion USB drive, I'd be walking around with all the tools that I would need to reset the password for all users on anyone's Mac. Thus, if I wanted to (if I had the time and nefarious intent), I could "hack" any Mac within a matter of minutes. If we assume for a moment that this doesn't work, if someone really wanted your data, they would just take your HD.

I'm starting to think that the disc that IT guy is using may actually be the OS X install disc since this can be used (as noted above) to reset passwords.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
That kinda sucks. I mean if there is a way for someone to get into a computer like that then it seems to me that there should be a way to stop it. Thanks for your help though.

Well, lets think about this. If you could effectively lock out any possibility of booting from an external source (CD/DVD/USB, etc), you're one software problem away from having a very expensive brick.

FWIW, there are applications out there that will do things like destroy the encryption key if certain actions are taken (failed login attempts etc). Using these though, well.. if that happens, the data's gone. So, helpful if you're worried about the protection of the data on the system from theft, not so much if you actually NEED the data on the system (my work laptop will do this).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.