What do I need to get my G4 online?

M

MacWinUser

I have a four year old PowerMac G4, model 2001.07, 733MHz, 384mb SDRAM. I also have 3 other computers which are online via my Linksys 802.11g broadband wireless router (one of the 3 online is a brand new iMac G5).

I've upgraded my old G4 by installing a superdrive and Tiger OS X, now I want to get it online via the wireless system. The "Apple genius" at the nearest Apple store (90 miles away) told me that I need an Airport card - not an Airport Extreme card. He said the Extreme card won't work on my old G4. :confused:

My question is this; Okay, I can buy an Airport card online - is that all that I will need or do I also need an Airport base station too? My iMac G5 works just great with my wireless system without an Airport base station - no problems whatsoever.

Thanks in advance, and Happy Halloween :spook:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
All you need is the airport card

OP
M

MacWinUser

I got the Airport card and installed it in my G4 but I still cannot connect to the wireless network. Before this latest attempt I bought a Macsense adaptor that was supposed to work with all versions of OS - it didn't. I then installed a new superdrive and OS X Tiger and now the Airport card.

I'm about ready to give up on this G4, I've sunken too much money into it already.

Is the problem that my router (Linksys "Wireless -G broadband router with speedbooster") is 802.11g and the Airport card is 802.11b?

I don't know what to type in there for the "name of the network" and the "password" - I didn't have to do any of that with my new iMac G5, here's a screen shot of what I'm talking about:

airporttrouble22zt.jpg

Any ideas please???

OP
H

Harryc

If you did not configure an SSID in your router, then it is probably using the default. Go into the router config or the manual to find out what it is...probably linksys or wireless or default. The default password is probably admin or blank (as in nothing)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
802.11b and 802.11g are compatible-- it's only a speed difference.

Look at your other computers to see what network they're connecting to wirelessly-- you should be able to tell this very easily if they're aslready connected. If you're using a username and password on your other computers, this will be the same one.

The only other answer I can think of is that you have your Linksys setup so that it only recognizes the MAC addresses of the computers it's already talking to. In that case, you need to look at the Linksys' configuration again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.