Imac 27" intel core i7 Or wait for new 2012 Imac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Dual core 2.66ghz xeon, Macbook Pro 2.26 ghz 4GB 160GB, apple cinema display 20",iPhone 32gb
Hi im wanting to buy a imac 27" intel core i7 but i have heard apple are bringing new redesigned imacs in 2012 ?.. should i wait or shall i get this and are the new imacs going to be changed physically or just nternal. Many thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
The quick answer is this:
If you need <insert any piece of technology you like> now. Buy it now. If you don't need it now, wait until you do.

The more verbose answer:
There's no sense trying to second guess what Apple may or may not do. There's no hard info around regarding new iMacs.

You can try and and make educated guesses; e.g. the current ones have the near latest Sandy Bridge chipset and CPUs and a 6xxx series GPU so they are still what you may consider 'new'. There are newer CPUs and 7xxx series GPUs due early next year.
You can consider the refresh cycle too. For iMacs, your unlikely to see a refresh based on past showings until later in the year. But sometimes they break this cycle.

I'm rambling now and, if you've made it this far, I'd urge you to look again at my quick answer. It really is the only way approach buying any kind of tech.

For the record (as you can see over here <----- ). I bought a 2009 27"iMac and I'm still as happy with it today as I was the day it arrived. I bought the best spec I could afford at the time and it's never let me down.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi im wanting to buy a imac 27" intel core i7 but i have heard apple are bringing new redesigned imacs in 2012 ?.. should i wait or shall i get this and are the new imacs going to be changed physically or just nternal. Many thanks.

Apple is always coming out with "something new"...the question always is..."when"???;)

Apple will probably be coming out with a new iMac in 2012...and probably 2013...and probably 2014 as well...how long to you want to wait? There's ALWAYS something "just around the corner".;)

If you need something now...get it now.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Dual core 2.66ghz xeon, Macbook Pro 2.26 ghz 4GB 160GB, apple cinema display 20",iPhone 32gb
Apple is always coming out with "something new"...the question always is..."when"???;)

Apple will probably be coming out with a new iMac in 2012...and probably 2013...and probably 2014 as well...how long to you want to wait? There's ALWAYS something "just around the corner".;)

If you need something now...get it now.

- Nick

That is true! hmm, I'm going to wait until march to see if they announce anything if not core i7 here i come!! :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply guys! much appreciated! :)

Reaction score
32 processor

Does anyone know if in the case when i want to install wnidows 7 on an imac which has a windows 64 bit is it possible?

C

chas_m

To answer the OP: what is it that you will be doing that you think will strain the Core i7 to its limits?

If the answer to that question is "nothing," then I think you have your answer.

For itsalam: The current Macs can install 64-bit Windows 7 no problem, but remember two things:

1. It must be a fresh, new, unactivated LEGAL version
2. You're not going to see much benefit from the 64-bit version unless you have a LOT of RAM (>8GB).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.