best storage device for macs

Reaction score
I have a macbook pro and my computer is getting quite full up with movies both on itunes and in the movies folder...What devioce do you recommend as an external hardrive that works well with macs.Somebody suggested a lacey.Is this pretty seamless with macs ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 6-core 2.66 GHz Xeon, dual ATI 5770 HD
Well, I don't know about "best" since I haven't sampled them all but I've got a Netgear Ultra 4 NAS that works very well with both my Mac Pro and PC's.

ReadyNAS-Ultra4-Product-Large18-8133.png

It's probably not the cheapest out there ($499 at Amazon without disks) but it has a nice web interface, is easily set up and managed and, more importantly, is reliable. I've got mine configured with 4 750 MB drives but you can use drives up to 2 TB in size so it'd have 8 TB total capacity. I've had it for over a year and during that time I had a drive fail. Unplugged it, plugged in a new one (I keep a couple on hand) and it seamlessly recovered and integrated the new drive.

It works with both Time Machine and Windows backup software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
Almost anything is seamless with mac os these days. it all depends on if you want wired or network or portable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Pick a drive, format it for Mac OS and your done. It makes no difference what brand to be fair, but most reliable in my experience are Hitachi, Toshiba, Iomega and Seagate.

Reaction score
Hard drive purchase

Hi,

This is a bad time to buy a hard drive. The floods in Thailand have disabled several factories that produce the drives, so there's a shortage and prices have tripled.

My experience is that all that matters is the warranty on a drive. They all fail eventually and you want that to happen when the drive is still on warranty.

Good luck, Dan S

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Triple is stretching it a bit. I'll go for maybe 20-40%. You can still buy 1TB drives at $100-$120 and 2 TB drives at $130-$150 at newegg. Not cheap, but still inexpensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Hi,

They all fail eventually and you want that to happen when the drive is still on warranty.

I don't know, I prefer to be well outside the warranty period when that inevitably occurs O:)

But correct on all points. I don't suspect storage prices will return to their pre-flood points in the next few months.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.