Safari 2.0.1, Tiger 10.4.2 and beachball (bad performance)

L

lil

Tiger 10.4.2, GeForce Go 5200FX, Beachball and Graphics Errors

Hiya,

From my searching on the net it seems like this is a known issue.

However I prefer to use Safari as it is nice and small, and fast. I have Firefox on standby.

And I might have to use Firefox permanently soon. I have noted many 'solutions' etc. and tried them namely they clear the cache, history, and turning off the languages in Safari I do not need and clearing the autofill information.

Despite all this a little bit of scrolling or typing seems to sometimes catch Safari (and other applications like Colloquy) out and it will not scroll or respond, and before long the beachball will come along (hey it did it just then typing this, it paused and would not accept any input).

This has turned from being a minor issue to something of a great annoyance. And it is beginning to get on my nerves. In order to break it out of these pauses I have to drag the mouse down over the dock and then it will start to respond again as if nothing happened.

Does anyone have an idea what this could be? The fact it doesn't just happen in Safari has me a little bit worried that something is serious awry, and I really wish I knew what it was because it is really bugging me now.

Anybody elses experiences of this happening or indeed solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Vicky

OP
L

lil

Curiously it unhangs if I drag the window in question's ( say Safari or Colloquy) title bar.

Weird and incredibly irritating, especially when I am typing in a form like this and it just *stops* or I am typing in the text field in IRC...

Vicky

OP
S

sursuciofla

I think it is stupid you can't get Safari 2.0 unless you have Tiger. I like Panther more and I have used both versions but I don't want Tiger just to get 2.0.

OP
L

lil

OK, Just tried Camino and it's done the same thing when scrolling, drag down to the dock and back over again and the beachball goes.

I'd like to know what's screwing up.

Interestingly the system.log (System Profiler) shows this:

Oct 26 02:54:19 Vickys-PowerBook-G4-12 kernel[0]: Graphics chip error! Restarted.

And it has that listed endlessly... Ties in with the beachballing too...

The display DOES have a habit of corrupting quite often too, this behaviour is reoccuring on anything from a 2 minute to 5 minute interval...

And it is now seriously getting to me, the display can corrupt even when I am not using the system.

Vicky

OP
L

lil

Just woke up (8am) and the PowerBook has been on standby for a few hours, and is nice and cold.

Within about a minute of being awake, it did it again. So heat isn't the issue. I'll reboot and see if that helps.

Still isn't right I should have to reboot to potentially 'cure' something , not that I believe it will. It could be to do with my USB modem maybe, which is plain nasty anyway, only using it until I can afford a router with ADSL modem.

Vicky :flower:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.