Install system 9.2 as main OS on mini

C

CyberCat

Hey,

I actually have two questions I've been wondering about, I hope somebody will help me:

1. 'Choppy' Classic Mode on OS 10.4

When ever I run programs in classic mode on my mini I have a really bad problem with them running 'choppy' or 'jerky'. Do I need more memory perhaps? What can I do about this? It's really bugging me since my computer it like 10 times more then the recommened specs on the software so it shouldn't be having problems like this.

2. I know this will sound weird but... Is there any way to install system 9.2 on my mini as the main os? (i.e. not using classic inside of tiger)

I've already tried putting the system 9.2 cd in and rebooting with the c key but that hasn't worked for me yet.

I am running a Mac mini G4 (1.42 GHz) + 512 MB memory. OS 10.4

Thanks for your time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My setup: 17in SD iMac G5, 1GB RAM & 12in iBook, 1.5GB RAM (Both computers standard config.)
short answer no

long answer is that any of the new macs will not allow you to boot OS 9. that went out a while back with the eMacs. The only way to run classic apps is through classic in tiger.

OP
C

CyberCat

Okay, thanks I least I know WHY it wouldn't boot.

What do you think about the poor performance of my programs in classic?

OP
C

CyberCat

If you have only 256mb RAM, you need more.

Actually I have 512. Is that still not enough? The program only says it needs like 16 MB.

oh, one other thing I should have mentioned was that this is a universal problem, meaning that ALL of my programs in classic have exactially the same symtomes.

Reaction score
I would think 512mb would be enough to run it smoothly. What applications are you needing classic for?

OP
C

CyberCat

Well some of my old games like Pathways into Darkness, Marathon (Bungie) and Pegusus Prime (Presto Studios), but even seemingly low demanding programs like Microsoft Word 97 and Holiday Lights suffer exactially the same problems. (also note that those three are the most demanding games I have tried, even very old games like asteriods have the same problem)

It's bugging me, since I can't get OS X versions of these programs (exept Word of course) otherwise I wouldn't even both with classic since OS X is much nicer.

That's why I was thinking about just installing system 9.2 on it's own since there SHOULD be plenty of power to run these things! :-/

OP
C

CyberCat

It's an precise problem everything will run smoothly for about 1.5 perhaps 2 seconds then everything (graphically, the sound continues) freezes for about half a second, then it starts over again. Like I said, it's very rhythmic. And it makes it pretty much impossible to play games like marathon since you really can't aim when it keeps freezing up. It's even a real problem in word since there's this delay before what you type actually appears. The classic version is the one that came on the gray cd with my computer, I think it's version 9.2.2, if that helps any. Perhaps it's something to do with an extension? Or quicktime perhaps?

What do you think?

Reaction score
Do you notice similar problems in OS X? Try to play the one game where you roll the ball, I forget the name but it comes installed with the system.

OP
C

CyberCat

Yeah, I think it's called Marble Blast it plays just fine. Actually everything (games/software/etc) works perfectly smoothly in OS X. No problems at all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.