• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Converting Rar to any Mp4 or any other video format??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011, 13" MacBook Pro, 2.3GHz Intel Core i5, 320GB, 8GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 3000, OS X Lion
Is it possible to covert a Rar file into any other video format. I am able to open and extract the file but I am not able to convert the file into any other format. I don't seem to have any usable file types that I can identify. The folder is holding almost 4 gigs so I am hoping the video is in there somewhere lol. Thanks

Dustin

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
RAR is an archive format and not a Video format. You would have to un-RAR the file first. Better Zip is the best tool I have used on OSX for all sorts of archives. There are others like UnRARX.

OP
DustinB22
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011, 13" MacBook Pro, 2.3GHz Intel Core i5, 320GB, 8GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 3000, OS X Lion
I'm already to that point, I used UnRARX to exact the contents. Now I just have a folder that has 77 items totaling almost 4 gigs. I don't recognize the file types. The extensions are just numbers and type they are just listed as documents. It's possible I have a corrupt file. After you un-rarx do you typically have known file type such as maybe a .avi or mp4?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is there one file that is not numbers in the extension?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.