What's it worth?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
Hey guys, so I have taken apart a few laptops in the past and I'm in college and really in need of the extra cash I found this laptop on ebay:

Apple MacBook 13.3" Laptop - MB467LL/A (October, 2008) (885909223411) | eBay

It seems to be a really good deal, and I did an ifixit teardown guide and it does seem easy enough and apparently the logic board is worth like $290. I've never bought off ebay before and was wondering if you think it's a good idea? I've already bid up to 150 but I don't know if it's worth more than that.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hey guys, so I have taken apart a few laptops in the past and I'm in college and really in need of the extra cash I found this laptop on ebay:

Apple MacBook 13.3" Laptop - MB467LL/A (October, 2008) (885909223411) | eBay

It seems to be a really good deal, and I did an ifixit teardown guide and it does seem easy enough and apparently the logic board is worth like $290. I've never bought off ebay before and was wondering if you think it's a good idea? I've already bid up to 150 but I don't know if it's worth more than that.

I'm not really the right guy to ask about this, but to me the answer is in your first line "I'm in college and really in need of the extra cash".

You need money, so you are thinking of spending $150+ for something that you will have to invest additional money in or break down for parts (parts like the Logic Board that you will have no way of verifying whether or not they work) which you will then have to sell on eBay.

If you have the extra money and are just looking for a project I say go for it. What you learn is worth it whether or not you succeed in getting it working for a reasonable price.
But, if you are looking for money you would probably do as well (or better) buying lottery tickets (or a rake and/or snow shovel and using both to get exercise and cash on weekends).

My opinion, but you did ask (sort of). ;)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
A known working logic board may be worth $290. If that's what's wrong with this one, it's worth nothing.

imho: If the seller knows enough about how to take it apart in order to do a visual inspection of the "bottom" of the logic board, he already knows this one "ain't" worth fixing or he would have done it.

Reaction score
I guess you always get what you pay for, so in that case it might be alright for you to purchase. I just looked at those pictures the seller has posted and noticed that the upper left and right corder look funny. Especially the left side. Might be just the way the photo was taken, but it looks pretty beat up to me. Those things ring my alarm bells and I'd think the owner didn't take good care of that one. Who knows what else is wrong with it...

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
I'm willing to stay at my current bid. I have an on campus job and the extra money was going to help buy my girlfriend a used mac and fix it up for her. I think it'd be fun to take apart and learn about it. i think that if the logic board was bad, I could still fetch what I paid for it by selling the screen (worth 130 on amazon), the HD (probably worth about 30), the airport card, the actual case cover ect. Thank you for the replies

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.