Cannot open TIFF files

Reaction score
I just spent the entire day at a genealogy library, copying images to my thumb drive (and paying for the privilege). The images were saved as TIFF files, and within TIFF, JPEG compression. Files will not open, even in preview. Someone suggested that the JPEG format at the library is old JPEG and that I should adjust the TIFF compression to LZW. But I can't figure out how to do that on my MacBook Pro; I cannot view the files; I cannot open them. HELP!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
My guess it's saved in some old format.

What I could find without installing Windows may be to try Wine Bottler and Irfanview. Found this at the Irfanview forums. Check the 3rd post.

Irfanview equivolent for the Mac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
My guess it's saved in some old format.

What I could find without installing Windows may be to try Wine Bottler and Irfanview. Found this at the Irfanview forums. Check the 3rd post.

Irfanview equivolent for the Mac

Chas_m used to champion (it was even in his signature block) a Mac image viewer and management software pkg, but old age has caught up with me and I can't remember what it was called to Google it.

C

chas_m

A simpler solution would have been to download Graphic Converter and batch convert the files to some other format, but I'm glad you found something that worked.

Razor: I used to be affiliated with ACDSee Pro for Mac, and I still like their products, but I'm no longer with them. I'm not certain it would have helped in this particular case, but it might have (never had a chance to test it with a JPG-compressed TIFF file).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.