Late 2011 Macbook Pro heating issues

Reaction score
So, this past Sunday I went out and bought the newly released Macbook Pro 13" 2.4ghz 500GB hard drive with 4GB ram.

I've been doing lots of research and I've been told that these computers do run hot. However, mine is very hot, compared to my old white Macbook I got in 2009.

Just surfing the internet with maybe 1 or 2 applications open, my CPU temperature reaches 75-80 celsius. 158-176 Fahrenheit. While watching a movie in megavideo or on youtube it get's even hotter! The fans are up to 5000rpm...

I'm thinking about returning it and getting something else. Maybe an iMac... I do love the laptop because I like to lay in bed and watch movies, it's pretty much all I do. I don't play games or edit videos or photos, I mainly surf the internet, watch movies, and listen to music. And if it's getting this hot just doing those few things.... the amount of money I spent on this is not worth it.

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks

PS: I have smcfancontrol already, but if I have to manually do something to fix this issue, apple is not doing their job!

PPS: does anyone know if the newest iMac's have any heating issues? I'm thinking about switching to that one.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'll start by telling you that my new iMac runs very cool. But then, the iMac by virtue of its design is easily cooled by convection. My older MacBook (2008 Core 2 Duo) runs much warmer, but that's the nature of notebook machines.

I noticed you stated that you like to lay in bed watching movies. Keeping the machine on top of bed covers or your lap does not allow it to cool properly. And it does sound like your MBP is running warmer than it should. Returning it is up to you of course, but replace it with an iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
Get a nice MacBook Air. I've heard they run VERY cool.

OP
A
Reaction score
I'll start by telling you that my new iMac runs very cool. But then, the iMac by virtue of its design is easily cooled by convection. My older MacBook (2008 Core 2 Duo) runs much warmer, but that's the nature of notebook machines.

Which iMac do you have? And do they come with the wired keyboard and mouse or do the newest ones comes with the wireless? The only reason I ask is because my cats would chew the cords sitting on the desk... which is why I'd rather stick with the laptop. But if the heat is going to cause long-term damage and I need to have it fixed in the next year, it is not worth the money in my books.

Also... do you think Apple will fix this issue in the near future? If so, I wonder if it will just be a software upgrade or a whole new machine.. if that's the case I'll just return the laptop and use my older white one until they come out with a fix.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you purchase a new iMac on line you can order it with either the wired or wireless keyboard and mouse. However, the Apple stores only stock the models with wireless keyboards and mouse. I have both the wired and wireless keyboard and mouse. To be honest, I'm a bit old fashioned and like the wired models better.

I have the standard 21.5" iMac with 8 GB of memory. Very fast, and doesn't take up much space on my desk. I understand about the cats. My daughter has two which love to roam on top of my computer desk. Fortunately they don't chew on anything. :)

As I mentioned before, the MacBook and MacBook Pro machines do run warmer but they're designed to take the heat.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.