General OS X Blues :(

Reaction score
Hello all!

First off, sorry if all this seems a tad noobish, but thats exactly what I am to OS X.
Well, basically, theres two main problems. The first off which is Safari. Its not uncommon for when I put my Macbook to sleep and then rewake it, for absaloutly nothing to load. I try turning off my WiFi but it does nothing. So then I figure ill close it, but when I try this it doesn't happen, so ill try Force Closing it. Notta. It just sits there in my Dock, bouncing. The only way to get it going again is to restart. This is more then an inconvenience. To be honest, I'm let down by my new Mac life so far. I was expecting it to run perfectly, but so far (and I'm honestly not just saying this) I've had more problems with it then I have with Windows. I use Windows at work and I don't get anywhere near the problems that I do with my new Macbook, and considering the premium I've paid for my Macbook, this isn't really acceptable.
My second problem is again internet based. It is stupidly common for the internet on my Macbook to just die. It'll state that I'm connected, but i have to disconnect from my WiFi and then reconnect to it to get it going again. THis problem is intermittent, and can be from every minute, to every half an hour. Other times it works for a few days, then comes back.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a rant, I'm just a little disappointed. I still love my Macbook (and am very excited to learn about it) but I just feel that its perhaps over hyped?

I guess the point in this is to ask if anyone can give me a hand as to diagnosing these problems (preferably the second one most of all). Do I need to look over some logs or anything? Im running a 15inch 2011 Macbook Pro

Thank you!
Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
KInd of tricky to troubleshoot this one.

But first try setting up your wifi connection in System preferences > Network under the location tab at the top called automatic.

Settings set in that location will mean that the mac auto re-connects after sleep or after any network hicups

You may need to enter some settings gain, but first check if your network connection settings are under that location

OP
C
Reaction score
Hello Louishen!

Thanks for the advice, but that was already set to Automatic.
In regards to the second problem do you think that there is a problem with my Macbook, none else's device in the house has this problem. Its a major pain!
If I wanted something that refused to work on the WiFi I would of gone and bought a brick.

Any help is much appreciated
Thanks guys

Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
What OS are your running?

If it's Lion, do you have 10.7.2 on there?

OP
C
Reaction score
Yup! Lion 10.7.2.
I think, what I'm going to do is try it on another wireless. Ill hold off for a couple of weeks until i can get back to Yorkshire and test it at home

Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
Even on the latest Lion Updates, it can take my MacbookPro up to a minute to reconnect to the internet after sleeping - but it does reconnect.

OP
C
Reaction score
I don't think its the WiFi thats the problem after my laptop had a nice nap, its Safari that becomes completely unresponsive.
The problem I'm most bothered about is the WiFi just dying during general usage

Chris

OP
C
Reaction score
Hello all. Its me again. I had time to test it on my wireless at home and it worked flawlesly, but as soon as I came back to London it did the exact same again. Constantly having to disconnect, and now, as of this moment it wont work at all on the wireless. No amount of disconnects and reconnects fix the problem. Any ideas?
Thanks

Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Hi, try setting the router to channel 11 and rebooting it.
For some reason Macs like that channel.

Cheers :)

Hugh

C

chas_m

Actually, Macs don't favour any particular channel. What they like is a channel not already in use by a dozen nearby networks. :)

If it's working flawlessly in Yorkshire and not in London, my guess (as a former resident of both cities!) is that you're running into channel interference in London, ie some nearby network is using the same channel. Changing the channel to something less used will reduce interference. Also, be aware of any 2.4GHz cordless phones about, and change THEIR channel to something your computer is not using.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hey guys. Thanks muchly for both your replies!

Ill give that a go. Just about to set off to work so when I get back ill get it done. Although, Chas_M, my windows desktop has no issues at all, and neither do any of the other laptops that are in the house. If changing the channel does help, would you have any idea as to why the Mac wont work, but the Windows desktops do?

Thanks
Chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.