Powerbook and Netgear router

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" i7 Unibody, HK Speakers and a Wacom A5 Wide tablet
I added my mac address to my wireless modem/router and went into internet connection on my powerbook. My router supports WEP and WPA but the only selection on my powerbook that match are WPA Personal and WPA2 Personal but everytime i select these a message comes up to say that "the wireless network selected does not support the requested encrytion method" Ive tries every other type of security method but still no luck. Is it because the router has only had Windows machines connected to it and this is the first time ive connected with a Mac. BTW this is a top of the line Netgear Wireless Modem/Router.

P

phantasma

hmm. If you have your WEP enabled and you try to connect for to the router it should prompt u asking for the WEP Key. Are you sure your not filtering out your mac address so the router blocks it?

OP
randomfactor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll double check but I'll rather use WPA as its more secure than WEP as I do some important stuff like transactions online.

OP
randomfactor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The mac address is not blocked as I had it connected previously through a wired LAN system connected directly to the router. CAn anyone suggest anything to help me out to get connected via wireless.

P

phantasma

hmm is your wireless enabled? Does your computer even find the routers SSID?

OP
randomfactor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no its a brand new powerbook, and I have no problem connecting to the wireless internet at college. My brother set up the router to hide the SSID will this affect it?

P

phantasma

... yes, go to your wireless connection tool in ur toolbar. Click on it an scroll down to where u see available networks, under that there should be other. Click other, and type in your ssid.

M

Merlinblack

the mac address for your wired connection and your wireless will be different. Add your wireless mac address and it should work a little better.

Also you will need to enter the SSID like Phant said to connect that should work a little better.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.