Mac beginner - TextEdit and Preview

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 21.5" iMac 2.5GHz Core i5
Hi,
I've had my mac for some weeks now, but what i've noticed is that say for instance i've used TextEdit to write something, when i've saved and finished by clicking the red 'X' the TextEdit icon stays in the dock with the little blue light underneath it. I have to right click & Quit it to make it disappear from the dock. Is there a way of doing this automatically? As I don't have it pinned to the dock nor do I want it left in the dock.

Likewise with Preview, it does exactly the same thing.

Is this something that bugs just me?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
This is how OS X works. Apps remain open when you close the last window (if they are Mac native apps and programmed properly). If you want to quit the application, push Command-Q or File > Quit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
This is one way that OS X is different from Windows. In most cases, clicking the red Close button in a window doesn't quit the application, it only closes the window.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
One thing to note is that there are exceptions to this (and even with some Apple applications). This generally only happens though with applications where you only have one window. For instance, if you click the red close dot in System Preferences, the application will close since you can only have one window. On the other hand, applications such as Opera (and any other browser) can have multiple windows. These applications will not quit when you close the last window.

C

chas_m

The "solution" to this "problem" is to stop trying to make the Mac behave like Windows and instead do things the correct (for Mac) way, which is to get into the habit of genuinely quitting apps when you are done with them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.