Macbook hard drive problems -- any advices?

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am new to Mac world. Recently I have bought an early 2008 Macbook version on craiglist to "taste" Macbook and OS X and swith if I liked. But a week later there started macbook issues. Firstly, it started freezing once a day. Later it started getting worse. Now I cannot boot the macbook. I can hear the boot tone and that's it. After that one question mark is appearing. I tried to reinstall the OS X LION. When I started the install everything is going right until I have to choose a hard drive. I cannot see the hard drive and the list is empty. Not being able to install the OS only thing I can do is to start the macbook and use it like 10 mins and that's it. It is freezing. And cannot boot it at all. I was wondering if the hard drive messed up or any hardware issue. Has anyone encountered the same issue? What would you advice to do? Do I have to install a new hard drive? Any advice will be appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like the hard drive went south. Swapping out a hard drive in a 2008 MacBook is an easy do it yourself project. A new hard drive must be SATA, 2.5" wide and 9.5 MM thick. See the install instructions at iFixit: The free repair manual.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.