photo critiqueing

Reaction score
I wanted to start a thread where we could talk about photography techniques and critique each other's shots. From the shot of the month rules we aren't supposed to talk about technique and all that fun stuff in that thread (not to mention the shots are supposed to be from that month) but many of you seem to be pretty knowledgeable when it comes to photgraphy and i can always use a helping eye to aid me in my learning.

With that this first picture i would like to submit is of one i took in Africa. from my own opinion the neck seems to be a bit too overexposed and i am having a problem with bringing it down a bit with out it looking grayish.

Giraffe copy.jpg

P

PhotoTechie

Hi, technically it is over exposed and the saturation is really high. Could be because of an incorrect setting or an inability to control the saturation level. Be aware that when you "bring it down" you will increase the contrast of any image for sure. That will make the overall image more unacceptable in my opinion.

All that said, I wouldn't let it stop me from displaying the image if I liked it personally.

Q

quanz

comp is whack, use the golden section. have the neck come up from the direct bottom right and leave less head room.

Reaction score
Perhaps turn the contrast down a tiny bit to tone down the white spots on face/neck a bit. Not a bad shot though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Would it help to know what kind of camera these shots are taken with? Sometimes you can correct for the exposure by adjusting the camera and getting a second shot that requires little or no work afterwards.

Just a thought.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
quanz said:
keep shooting, thats all the advice you need

LOL, thanks I appreciate that!

-Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Mac 17" 1GB RAM
Kutless217 said:
I wanted to start a thread where we could talk about photography techniques and critique each other's shots. From the shot of the month rules we aren't supposed to talk about technique and all that fun stuff in that thread (not to mention the shots are supposed to be from that month) but many of you seem to be pretty knowledgeable when it comes to photgraphy and i can always use a helping eye to aid me in my learning.

With that this first picture i would like to submit is of one i took in Africa. from my own opinion the neck seems to be a bit too overexposed and i am having a problem with bringing it down a bit with out it looking grayish.

Great shot, I can see what you mean about a tad over exposed, but all in all it's good, I'd definately be proud of it! Will using photoshop's 'burn' tool not have much of an effect? (I realise it's difficult to be able to use this tool and make it 'blend')

here's a few of mine: http://www.flickr.com/photos/87469246@N00/

I realise some of them are technically hideous but I like them for various reasons, and I'd definately appreciate some constructive criticism!

OP
K
Reaction score
i hadn't thought of posting all my pics to my .mac account i will do that and post the link in an hour or so

oh and to xenon i really liked the zippo shot

OP
K
Reaction score
just wondering trpn but what camera are you using?

oh and nice website. did you build it yourself?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Those were shot with my Digital Rebel and a 75-300 Canon lens. I will probably be putting up the shots that I took with my dad's 20D and 100-400 L Series lens (Such a pretty lens) in a few days.

I just threw the site together with GoLive since I didn't really feel like coding it

OP
K
Reaction score
hmm i should check out golive. that is a pretty nice set up. right now i just use dreamweaver. for my quick portfolio thing though i just used iphoto and uploaded it.

also that is the older model Rebel not the XT correct? the reason i ask is i am looking at buying the XT and i like the quality i am seeing from those shots of yours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Yea that is the original rebel. I would like the XT for its greater burst FPS, but the extra MP aren't that big of a deal to me. I love the Rebel, I have been using it since it first came out and haven't had a single issue with it, fantastic battery life on the included battery, very intuitive menus and controls. I will probably try out its RAW capabilities once Aperture comes out.

I think the template for my site might have actually been from dreamweaver now that I think of it. I made the basic layout in our schools library on dreamweaver and just do the editing on GoLive on my system

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.