Wi-Fi password retrieval

Reaction score
Hi,

I am running OS 10.7.2 with an Airport Wireless router and trying to wirelessly connect my new Amazon Kindle to my network but can't get the password to work. How can I find out what my password is for my wireless network? All places I have searched provide answers for older operating systems but not for OS 10.7.2. I have tried all the possibilities I can think of to no avail. Please help.

Thanks,
Ljinkers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Open up Keychain Access, find the password in the keychain, double click on it then select 'show password'.

Reaction score
Here is some information that may assist you as to finding your wireless network's password.

1. Connect to router with wire.

Using an Ethernet cable, connect one end to your computer's network adapter the other to the LAN port on your AirPort

2. Login to router

Open up your browser. In the address bar type in 10.0.1.1
A prompt should appear asking for a password. The default password is 'admin'

If the address 10.0.1.1 fails to connect to the router, try 192.168.1.1 or 172.16.1.1

3. Navigate router's menu

You should find in these menus something corresponding to "Wireless network" and in this you should find a "pre-shared key". This pre-shared key is the password you must enter in order to connect a computer to your AirPort Express

Addition security reading:

-Mac Filtering (Media Access Control)

Filters out all mac address' except for the ones you enter into router. The benefit of this is that even if someone manages to crack your 128bit pre-shared key, they now have to be granted access by using a mac address that is accepted.

Hope this helps you,

Trolly Mc Trolls ;D

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks. I found the passwords and they were what I thought. My Kindle, however, still won't connect. Any ideas?

Thanks again.
Ljinkers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 Xeon 6gb DDR2 1TB OSX Server
I ran across this. It looks like if you have any kind of wi-fi encryption you have to do a dance around to get it to connect.

1.) Enter in the SSID
2.) Leave the password BLANK
3.) Hit Submit
4.) It will then say it can't find the network, but would I like to set it up manually.
5.) Hit YES, and then change the advanced menu to WPA/WPA2 and then enter your password.
6.) Hit Done

OP
L
Reaction score
Thank you. I did try that but again, it didn't do the job. I went to Amazon's Kindle help site and found that if I did a "restart" of the Kindle, it should work. Wala! It did.

Thanks to all of you for your help.
Ljinkers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.