Drive Genius 2.2 trouble

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
llci to Mac Pro "26 Kids" all named Mac
I have a Drive Genius 2.2 disk and it installs on all my machines from G4 Cube to Mac Pro and it will boot all of them but if I try to boot it on My G5 dual 2.7 It does a Kernel Panic internal optical or external. However I can install it on the machine and run it normal. Why does the G5 do this?:Not-Amused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have a Drive Genius 2.2 disk and it installs on all my machines from G4 Cube to Mac Pro and it will boot all of them but if I try to boot it on My G5 dual 2.7 It does a Kernel Panic internal optical or external. However I can install it on the machine and run it normal. Why does the G5 do this?:Not-Amused:

There could be any number of reasons. My best guesses are a bad DVD drive; faulty connection to the DVD drive on the motherboard; or a faulty component on the motherboard that controls the DVD drive.

OP
FatherTime
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There could be any number of reasons. My best guesses are a bad DVD drive; faulty connection to the DVD drive on the motherboard; or a faulty component on the motherboard that controls the DVD drive.

Well I thought I've covered all those possibilities. The drives, both Pioneer 118L's boot all other disks DW, OSX 's, Tech Tool. ASD 2.5.7, ASD 2.5.8 and more. The Drive Genius boots on all my other machines. TiBooks. Cube, iMacs, G4 PB's MBP, and so on. But I'm going to burn another image and see if that helps. I'd really like to put my finger on it. The Kernel Panic is what has me stumped:Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I thought I've covered all those possibilities. The drives, both Pioneer 118L's boot all other disks DW, OSX 's, Tech Tool. ASD 2.5.7, ASD 2.5.8 and more. The Drive Genius boots on all my other machines. TiBooks. Cube, iMacs, G4 PB's MBP, and so on. But I'm going to burn another image and see if that helps. I'd really like to put my finger on it. The Kernel Panic is what has me stumped:Confused:

It could be that Drive Genius has a buggy driver for booting off the DVD that is causing a kernel panic with that particular model of Mac, or your combo of hardware. The only other thing that I can think of to try is booting off an external DVD drive.

OP
FatherTime
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It could be that Drive Genius has a buggy driver for booting off the DVD that is causing a kernel panic with that particular model of Mac, or your combo of hardware. The only other thing that I can think of to try is booting off an external DVD drive.

Well as I stated in my original post it Kernel Panics weather booting internal or external. So it may be something machine specific?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well as I stated in my original post it Kernel Panics weather booting internal or external. So it may be something machine specific?

Ah… I missed the external bit. Anywho, yes, it may well be machine specific. Have you ever replaced any parts, the RAM in particular? Have you tried running the Apple Hardware Test?
The Apple Hardware Test

OP
FatherTime
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah… I missed the external bit. Anywho, yes, it may well be machine specific. Have you ever replaced any parts, the RAM in particular? Have you tried running the Apple Hardware Test?
The Apple Hardware Test

I've run ASD 2.5.7 and ASD 2.5.8 plus memtest and both pass 100%.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.