{Spam?} added to subject line of email

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 9,1 Core 2 Duo 2.6ghz, 2gb RAM, Snow Leopard, Macbook 7,1 Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz, 2gb RAM, SL
Hello,

I have a friend whos email account automatically adds {Spam?} to the beginning of the subject line after the email has been sent. It happens most of the time, but not everytime. The email is being sent from the mac mail program, but I don't think it is a software issue. It happens to everyone who receives the emails regardless of whether they are using mac or windows.
There isn't any anti-spam or anti-virus software running and I'm thinking it might be the email hosting company which is doing it.

Any help would be welcome.
Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
His account has likely been hacked probably because of a weak password. A SPAM bot may be using it to send out SPAM mail. Tell him to cancel the account with the ISP and activate a new one. This time use a strong password made up of characters, letters, and numbers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I used to add something similar with an application on the smtp servers when they received mail from a suspect domain. I've never seen it added on send though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.