Should I upgrade from Snow Leopard to Lion?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sept. '07 white 13" MacBook 8,2 - 10.7.5
And "big guy" isn't name calling?

Once again, did you see where I no longer have 10.3??? Good grief people.

Reaction score
Careful with the name calling. It's not allowed here.

You came here and put down Apple for the newer versions of OSX. 10.3 is way old and not even useable for any serious user.

he was just asking a legitimate question and the replies he got were a little ridicule I think specially the "big guy" part.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Turn me in to an admin then if you feel I am wrong. Others here might have done way more than warn him.

And other clowns here was pointing at me for pointing out nothing works in 10.3. It does not. I have it on an iMac. It's a dead end os.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Keep this in mind that when Apple moves forward and you get behind and the OS is no longer available like Leopard the prices seem to go through the ceiling as I saw asking 200.00 for a 129.00 disk just saying.

Reaction score
Turn me in to an admin then if you feel I am wrong. Others here might have done way more than warn him.

And other clowns here was pointing at me for pointing out nothing works in 10.3. It does not. I have it on an iMac. It's a dead end os.

turn you in? come on this is not high school, please tell me pigoo3's replies to him weren't a little sarcastic or harsh? "big guy"? come on we are gonna star calling people names just because they don't see the point in Lion? lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
I wouldn't upgrade to Lion mostly I'm still dependent of PowerPC apps such as the older iMovie. The fact that it's only available via download, and you have to go through the whole disk burning, putting it on a flash drive headache if you want a physical copy doesn't exactly appeal to me either.

Never having used Lion, I can't exactly say from an experience standpoint, but this is the first Mac OS update that my first impression was "I don't even really want to upgrade if it was free" From what I've read, and researched, I suppose Apple is trying to incorporate more gestures to make stuff easier, but I never even used expose on 10.5 and 10.6, why would I want to four finger swipe or something like that on 10.7?

Again, maybe I'm wrong, maybe Lion is totally amazing, maybe I missed some ground breaking new feature, and it's just because I've never used it (or even own a computer that would run it at the moment) that I'm underwhelmed with Lion.

P.S. I'm writing this from a laptop running Windows Vista, and there's NO WAY that 10.7 can be this bad. ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
turn you in? come on this is not high school, please tell me pigoo3's replies to him weren't a little sarcastic or harsh? "big guy"? come on we are gonna star calling people names just because they don't see the point in Lion? lol

Piggo said the same thing to CWA who is also staff here and they are friends. Same exact Big Guy. It's being taken wrong.

I will let Piggo talk for himself.

And as far as my turning me in comment, I am a mod, if anyone here feels I am wrong, report it to an admin. I am enforcing the rules here I was picked as a Mod to enforce. I just warned BTW.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
And "big guy" isn't name calling?

Once again, did you see where I no longer have 10.3??? Good grief people.

Yikes...I just saw all the replies in this thread since I last read it last night!:eek:

Hey "bluethunder"...if you found the term "big guy" offensive...I totally apologize. It was not meant to be anything negative towards you...just a simple generic term that many guys refer to each other in everyday conversation.

It's like referring to another guy you may be having a conversation with:

- "man"
- "chief"
- "dude"
- "big guy"
- etc.

Again...I apologize if you found the term "big guy" offensive.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
By the way...here's a complementary reply I received last night when helping someone...which interestingly...was also a thread related to OS upgrading:

WOW.

If I had a diary I'd mark today as the first time someone asked a question on an online forum and got a straight answer without being flamed in any way.

Thanks so much! That's exactly what I was looking for, just a simple explanation of what I can do...perfect.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/257377-os-x-10-4-11-upgrade.html#post1326643

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 Xeon 6gb DDR2 1TB OSX Server
Nothing can ever be as bad as Vista except windows ME. :p

To the point, does Lion provide additional features that you find beneficial and does all the software you currently run on SL capable of running on Lion? If it does I'd do what bill o'reilly once said and "do it live!" :D

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 4 GB RAM
The only reason I feel like upgrading to Lion is so I can take advantage of iCloud so I can sync my iPhone's contacts to my Address Book app. That's really what got me started was iCloud.

But I don't believe my software is capable of running Lion. For instance, Adobe Photoshop CS5's only mention 10.6, and every Google search I find on whether Photoshop CS5 works with Lion is 50/50 just like this forum post.

Reaction score
The only reason I feel like upgrading to Lion is so I can take advantage of iCloud so I can sync my iPhone's contacts to my Address Book app. That's really what got me started was iCloud.

But I don't believe my software is capable of running Lion. For instance, Adobe Photoshop CS5's only mention 10.6, and every Google search I find on whether Photoshop CS5 works with Lion is 50/50 just like this forum post.

I have Photoshop CS5.1 and it works on Lion I had it with Snow Leopard too they work the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I have Photoshop CS5.1 and it works on Lion I had it with Snow Leopard too they work the same.

CS 5.5 Suite (photoshop's 5.5 version is still 5.1) runs just fine on Lion.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

That was the entire reason I went to Lion as well - but now that I have - aside from a few quirks and gripes - overall it's about the same as SL for me so far.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Did you or any of the other clowns ripping on me read my post closely enough to see where I'm using 10.6 and I no longer have 10.3? You put a lot of effort into replying, and for what.

I read it closely enough to understand that you are either full of baloney, or you failed to mention that you upgraded by way of getting a new Mac. 10.3 was only available for PPC Macs. 10.6 is only available for Intel Macs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.