Disconnecting External Jump drive properly

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I am new to apple computers and I have a question. I have always used a PC so this transition is a little different for me. I know there is some function that I am supposed to use to properly disconnect a Zip drive from the computer. Someone pointed it out to me in a brief rundown of this system. I just got this new 21.5" imac and I have not been on it that much so I am having a difficult time trying to find the right buttons to push to deactivate and remove this drive. I have been using this computer mostly to work on photography projects in Lightroom and Photoshop so I need to be able to access and disable jump drives without problems to the Operating system. Thanks in advance for your help, CapnFred

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP 8GB RAM 640GB HDD
I believe dragging your jump drive's icon on the desktop into the trash bin unmounts it safely. I'm sure there are other ways, but I don't know them yet as I don't yet have a Mac (probably going to arrive tomorrow).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There are several ways to unmount a drive: Drag the drive to the Trash, right click on the drive and select "eject". Always wait until the activity light on the drive goes off before ejecting or dragging the drive to the Trash.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you both for your quick reply. I have just disconnected the drive. I think I will definitely remember how this is done, thanks to you both.

Sincerely, CapnFred

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
as mentioned previously: drag the drive to the trash or right click and select eject.

If it isn't showing, you can check disk utility and eject from there also
or Open finder and eject from there

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.