Wordperfect/corel Where Are You?

M

marty30

Ok. here is my rant because I need to vent and cannot take it anymore. MS Word is friggin awful. As an attorney, we use wordperfect, because quite frankly, it rules. Stable (save for the environment it performs in), ability to format to an Nth degree, etc. But as I sit here typing this thread on my beautiful PB, as god forbid I try to mulit-task on my winblows box, I find myself begging Corel to get their butts in gear and get a OS X version out. Yes yes, i can run classic, blah blah blah....thats crap as far as im concerned. Word sucks, and I cant use it anymore for doing any type of advanced wordprocessing (reveal codes possibly one of the greatest things EVER, brilliant). On the flip side, i have to look at this UGLY box to use WP. Quite the quandry.

The point of this thread is this: There has got to be something that the fastest growing community of computer users can do about this. Any comments or suggestions?

P.S. Sorry for the militant tone. :spook:

OP
B

Badger

The last I heard, Corel announced (several years ago) that there would be no WP OS X version. It would require a completely new program, not just an upgrade. Corel feels that the market - WP on the Mac - is too small to justify the investment. A friend was on the WP/mac development team; it was disbanded and the people moved to other projects. While running WP under classic is a short-term solution, Apple has announced that the intel-macs will not run classic. So WP is truly a dead-program walking. Unless Apple chooses to do a lot of work on Pages, Word is going to be the only professional-level word processor for the mac.

OP
L

lil

I agree, and it is the reason I still use Word 5.1 to this day. I only use 2004 when I get a document that is not compatible on 5.1 which is a fair few these days but for documents from scratch, I'll keep on using Word 5.1.

That said, you'd be surprised at what even text edit can do.

Vicky

OP
M

marty30

I understand the cost benefit analysis, but Corel does several other programs for OS X, so the knowledge is there. To further fuel the rumor mill, I heard/read a while back that Microsoft had actually acquired a significant portion Corel, and although we all know MS's propensity to treat the marketplace fairly never entertaining the idea of violating monopoly laws, I'll bet they had something to do with Corel's "choice" to refrain from entering the office suite market for mac. Heavens forbid competition in the market place.
What is corel scared of? We are the community of think different, we dont resist learning new platforms. The market is here, especially considering how much of the mac community actually loathes microsloth.
FYI - the root of my anger is a 150 legal document that got ALL TYPES OF FUBARED from Word. Thank god for word perfect and reveal codes to gut the plethora of useless crap and formating codes automatically inserted, which screwed up everything.
SHADY COREL - GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.