Word 2011:Help! I can't paste text into the 'find' field

Reaction score
Well the title basically covers it: I can't paste text into the 'find' field -- it just keeps pasting into the document body (even though the cursor is in the find field).

Generally I can only paste find text if i do so in the 'advanced find' dialogue box -- although not always.

Me: on MBA; OSX 10.6.8; Word 2011 14.1.3 (I believe this is the latest?)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Works OK for me and I'm using the same version of Word. This is how I'm doing it:

Highlight whatever it is you wish to find, copy it (Cmd C). Now go to the menu item at the top "Edit". Click on Find or use Cmd F. The cursor will now jump to the "Search in Document" box. Press Cmd V and whatever it was you highlighted will now be placed in the "Search in Document" box and all instances of the item to be searched are then highlighted in the document.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi. Thanks for the reply!

Let me clarify: I am referring to buggy behavior.

I am doing exactly what you have described, in terms of setting out a search term. However, when i press Cmd V (after Cmd F), the text is inserted into the document body. Even if I position the cursor into the find field itself (that is opened with Cmd F), the same thing happens. The only way i can search a term by pasting is in the 'advanced find' dialogue (for which there doesn't appear to be any shortcut, and which doesn't always work) or else manually type it into the side panel when pressing Cmd F.

I have experienced some other buggy behavior as well, which I have posted elsewhere. Are there any general steps to optimize word? Also, I am still running entourage, could this be a source of problem?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can't explain why it's not working for you. It does sound like something is a bit buggy. I just tried it again over and over with both short and long documents and it works as I described.

Do any of the documents you're trying this out on contain macros? If they do, you might try disabling the macro first to see if the same happens.

As far as optimizing Word, it shouldn't need it. Besides, I don't know of any way to optimize it. Using Entourage should have no effect on Word.

Reaction score
I have the same problem. cmd+v doesn't work. However, I just found out that if I right click and choose "paste" from the list, it does do the thing! What a relief.

Reaction score
I've been encountering this problem on and off for a couple of years.

When you're working with a large document it is infuriating.

Particularly because, you might have some text on the clipboard which you want to search for; so you hit "Cmd - F" followed by "Cmd - V" and:

1) the text *sometimes* will appear in the document content instead of the search field
2) *sometimes* nothing happens at all, the text is not pasted anywhere
3) *sometimes* will appear in the search field

The only solution when it happens for me it to close and re-open Word.

By the way, I have seen this on multiple installations - it's no edge-case quirk - it's a straight up bug.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2014 Mac Pro, 3.7GHz Quad-Core Xeon E5, 32GB, 1TB Flash; 2011 iMac i7; 2009 MacPro Quad
Here we are now in 2014, years after release, and I still get this same exact problem. I have alway installed every update Microsoft has provided and I still get the same problem as described above. Anyone got a solution?

Reaction score
nope because with the last update it got even buggier including not liking paste and copy and my favorite replacing the word directions with a problem with male anatomy far from that ok micro dork product

Reaction score
Same problem, 2015

I have the same issue. Can't paste into the find field, in the find and replace window. It pastes onto the document instead.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.