Opinion on Lion update process

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.0 I7, Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz 15, Macbook 2.16Ghz, Imac 3.2GHz 21.5, Macbook Pro 13 2.23Ghz
Now that I've been working with Lion on my new MPB for a few weeks I think I'm ready to upgrade my Imac.

When I got the MBP I migrated from a Snow Leopard based clone. I discovered that I didn't like that so much so reinstalled a clean Lion image and migrated apps from the clone, and copied the data in from the clone but left behind networks and settings.

Here's what I'm thinking for the Imac.

Winclone and pull off my bootcamp.

Clone the Snow Leopard instance, then boot from that and clean up all the cruft I don't want to bring along old apps I don't need etc.

Do a clean install of Lion reformatting the internal drive.

Do any updates that are required for Lion

Migrate apps from the Snow Leopard Clone.

Copy in data from the Snow leopard clone.

Create Bootcamp partition.

Restore Bootcamp.

Anyone have recommendations or opinions on steps I have missed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Best of luck with Winclone ~ never got it to work yet. Best to setup new Bootcamp and clean install Windows. If installed on one machine only, will re-activate no problem. Means downloading that 671 or whatever it is updates, and if Windows 7, SP1.

Whilst have not attempted it, if you Google using Disk Utility to image Bootcamp, change name, and when new Bootcamp partition usb up and running, use Disk Utility Restore may be the go.

Rest is fine.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.0 I7, Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz 15, Macbook 2.16Ghz, Imac 3.2GHz 21.5, Macbook Pro 13 2.23Ghz
Best of luck with Winclone ~ never got it to work yet. Best to setup new Bootcamp and clean install Windows. If installed on one machine only, will re-activate no problem. Means downloading that 671 or whatever it is updates, and if Windows 7, SP1.

Whilst have not attempted it, if you Google using Disk Utility to image Bootcamp, change name, and when new Bootcamp partition usb up and running, use Disk Utility Restore may be the go.

Rest is fine.

I haven't had any problems using winclone backup and restore when I did the Macbook. You have to make sure Windows is in a clean state prior to backing it up, I've been forcing a chkdsk just prior to backup, then shutting it down and backing it up. I was able to get it up and running properly on a boot camp partition on the second drive in my macbook since I didn't want it on my SSD.

Thanks for your input.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
WinClone is no longer being developed primarily because it was unstable in many instances. It does work with NTFS partitions fairly well. However, if your partition is FAT-32, do not use WinClone as it will likely cause corruption.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WinClone is no longer being developed primarily because it was unstable in many instances. It does work with NTFS partitions fairly well. However, if your partition is FAT-32, do not use WinClone as it will likely cause corruption.

Agreed but Fat 32 is so Win 98, I run my Bootcamp instance with Fusion 4.0 anyway and I'm not concerned about mounting my winblows partition. I just keep it around since I occasionally need to access some legacy Java based apps that aren't compatible with Apple's Java implementation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.