• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iTunes 10.5.1 released with iTunes Match

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Apple releases iTunes 10.5.1 with Match feature | Apple Talk - CNET News

Apple this morning released a new version of iTunes that adds the company's new scan-and-match service for music.

iTunes 10.5.1 includes iTunes Match, a feature that scans a user's library to find music that wasn't purchased from Apple. If it finds a match in Apple's own Music Store library, Apple provides a user with a cloud-based version at the same quality they'd find if they bought it off iTunes--at least so long as they're a paid subscriber to the matching service, which costs $24.99 a year.

Update at 10:30 a.m. PT: Well that was fast. Almost immediately after offering the feature to users, Apple took away the capability to sign up for it. A message on the software notes that subscriptions to Match are temporarily unavailable and that users could "check back in an hour." Apple experienced similar growing pains in its early developer beta of the feature, which was closed off shortly after letting in a group of testers.

Wonder if it's back up yet.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Merged threads.

iTunes Match is currently available to U.S. customers only...
Boooring. Next story! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
WEll, we'll wait until next year ;(

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm used to waiting but my sights are on the Kindle Fire if anything.

To be honest though, my music collection is sitting at 22GB and I own a 32GB iPod Touch. Being "financially challenged" (hooray for being a student), my music collection grows at a rate slower than glacial. As such, my iPod Touch can hold every song and will likely be able to do so for quite some time (I just noticed that I have ~570MB of free space - must find new content). Therefore, this service is of no use to me. I can however see it being handy for people with a lot of devices and/or massive music collections. I'm waiting though to see what some person's mobile bill will be if they use this constantly over 3G.

Reaction score
I'm at the other end of the spectrum. I am a 41 year old music addict who has been collecting music since I was 8. With more than 40k songs in my library, I guess I'm out of luck with Match.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20" 2GB/250GB; MacBook 2.0GHz - 1Gb/80GB; iPod (video)60Gb
For those outside the US, it's really easy to get a US iTunes account - I've had one for years and buy most of my content - music and TV shows (in many cases long before they appear on UK Television) - from the site.

Funding wise, as I don't have a US credit card, I purchase $50 iTunes cards from Ebay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I didn't realise this was US only - surprise, surprise :)

However, I would not use it even if offered.

I have all of my songs on my Mac, in iTunes. The ones I want there (i.e. as many as will fit) are also on my iPod Touch and iPad.

With a slow and limited Broadband, why would I want to erase perfectly good files and then download them all again from the Cloud - presumably having also uploaded them in the first place?

Incidentally, what happens to songs downloaded from elsewhere (i.e. Amazon) or ripped from CDs? Do they get wiped and lost?

It already takes three times as long as it used to do when I buy something as it downloads to all three devices simultaneously. It seems that iOS5 and synchronising via iTunes are no longer compatible - so that is the only way I can get the new files to all three devices. I suppose I could download to one and then later use the 'Purchased' option on the other two :Confused:

When will Apple learn that not everyone is in the US and with a super-fast Broadband connection? :(

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
It'll come our way, as soon as the Music labels can come to an agreement.

And the system will have to bed in with all those American Guinea pigs before they unleash it on the rest of the world

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20" 2GB/250GB; MacBook 2.0GHz - 1Gb/80GB; iPod (video)60Gb
For those outside the US, it's really easy to get a US iTunes account - I've had one for years and buy most of my content - music and TV shows (in many cases long before they appear on UK Television) - from the site.

Funding wise, as I don't have a US credit card, I purchase $50 iTunes cards from Ebay.

OK, I decided to give it a go - but unfortunately, when I tried to sign up, i was asked for US credit card/ PayPal details even though I am in $$$ credit on my US iTunes account? This is the first time this has happened??

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Signed up for iTunes match. So far looks pretty good. :)

I tried an experiment importing CD to my iTunes library and in about five minutes it was available to download to all of my IOS devices.

Also found that initially all of my music wasn't uploaded because some of it was residing on a drive that wasn't connected (my oversight). Took me a bit of searching, but I found in the iTunes Menu (Advanced) an option to update iTunes Match; took about 15 minutes to crank through the files, but no problem.

I really think I'm going to like this and well worth the $24/year IMO. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)

or in my situation 2015...there's no overnight train in Doha, and the apple retail outlets are useless...:(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.