powermac g4 mirror drive door dual processor in a powermac g4 quicksilver

Reaction score
i am wanting to upgrade my powermac g4 quicksilver 2002 933mhz single processor to a dual processor. i wonder if a processor from a mirror drive door would work with the quicksilver 2002 model or not. i would like to make a very nice mac out of this one since i dont really have bucks to just buy a new mac and i like the older ones since they run the old hardware best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You would be better off swapping the whole mothertboard out rather than just the processor

OP
R
Reaction score
that would mean paying out for a whole machine and everything and also the mdd changed the placement of the cards that go into the computer rather then being on the bottom like the quicksilver and before the mdd moved them to the top of the case and also changed everything else around as in connectors for usb and such. so would it be possible to use the processor from the mdd in the quicksilver or not

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No no no ~ that is the short answer. They use completely different motherboards, different system bus speeds and different memory. Best idea is to look for a MDD, best is the 1.42GHz DP.

OP
R
Reaction score
well i didnt pay out much for the quicksilver i have and mostly the mdd models are way out of my price range since some of them go for 200 to 300 depending on which mdd it is. maybe there is a processor i could add to this old quicksilver that someone might have.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...the mdd models are way out of my price range since some of them go for 200 to 300 depending on which mdd it is.

You're shopping at the wrong places!!! I've seen some dual-processor Powermac G5's selling for as little as $175 on e-Bay...and commonly selling for $225-$250. A dual-processor Powermac G5 will blow the doors off any MDD Powermac G4!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Unless you have programs that work with a dual processor..theres no reason to install one. The bus pipeline don't change. Buy a G5.

OP
R
Reaction score
the other thing is that the one i got i paid 15 bucks for. 175 is alot of money for me to pay for something like a g5 and so thats why i got the g4 like i did. also the g4 can handle more then 2 hard drives since the styling. all i have to do with this old g4 is upgrade the processor to a dual and replace the single layer single format dvd burner to a dual layer dual format burner and maybe like 1.5 gb of pc133 ram to max out the computer in ram. ebay is out of the question since i dont have a paypal thats linked to anything nor do i have an active bank account right now. and no i dont know anyone who could help out. i got the g4 all on my own which i was very very very lucky to get before a computer recycle store scrapped it. other then that it a great machine

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I could point you to some CPU's probably for the Quicksilver but the price will be out of your range. I have a Single 1.8 Ghz Digital Audio and it's quite fast still for a G5. It's about as fast as maybe a single 1.6 G5. There was a Dual of the same CPU but it's long gone and was $390 new. If you find one used they are still quite expensive.

OP
R
Reaction score
yea thats true they are expencive and i know other world computing or macsales.com whichever you know it by has the dual processor but its like $319.00 + shipping which is high for me. the computer recycle store i go to usually never has just the processor they usually have a full machine. any parts they may have are older then the g4 mostly g3 imac drives and other add on cards or main hardware for a g3 imac or older mac. a good mdd may cost up to 150 to 175 depending on the model and what it has in it. maybe someone here might have something

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the other thing is that the one i got i paid 15 bucks for. 175 is alot of money for me to pay for something like a g5 and so thats why i got the g4 like i did. also the g4 can handle more then 2 hard drives since the styling. all i have to do with this old g4 is upgrade the processor to a dual and replace the single layer single format dvd burner to a dual layer dual format burner and maybe like 1.5 gb of pc133 ram to max out the computer in ram. ebay is out of the question since i dont have a paypal thats linked to anything nor do i have an active bank account right now. and no i dont know anyone who could help out. i got the g4 all on my own which i was very very very lucky to get before a computer recycle store scrapped it. other then that it a great machine

Sounds like you have a lot of limitations. With Macintosh computers (compared to Windows computers)...upgrading them (even older Mac's) is not cheap (or easy to find the parts)!

In most cases if you don't have much money...and you don't have an e-Bay and Paypal account...you:

- should just stick with what you have, and forget about upgrading
- wait...and continue to check whatever resources you do have available to you for getting parts...and maybe eventually you will find parts cheap (but this can take weeks or months)
- maybe get a computer (working or for parts) for a very low cost at like a local thrift store.
- maybe you can get lucky and find something for free (computers being thrown or given away free)

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
well finding a free mac is imposible where i live cause most people just take them to a place that takes in computers and electronics for free cause we have an ecycle program where it states any place that is involved with the program you can drop off computers and electronics except major appliances for free. on craigslist since this happened i have seen a huge drop in free computers. also its illegal here in washington state to just dump something on the curb cause what will happen is you will be fined and your garbage wont be taken. i have heard in other states that some people find stuff on the side of the road all the time but here thats not the case. i have tried freecycle.org which is not much of any luck for mac stuff and i have tried craigslist with not much of any luck other then to have someone try to expencivly sell me somethin i cant ever afford

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well finding a free mac is imposible where i live cause most people just take them to a place that takes in computers and electronics for free cause we have an ecycle program where it states any place that is involved with the program you can drop off computers and electronics except major appliances for free. on craigslist since this happened i have seen a huge drop in free computers. also its illegal here in washington state to just dump something on the curb cause what will happen is you will be fined and your garbage wont be taken. i have heard in other states that some people find stuff on the side of the road all the time but here thats not the case. i have tried freecycle.org which is not much of any luck for mac stuff and i have tried craigslist with not much of any luck other then to have someone try to expencivly sell me somethin i cant ever afford

You continue to invalidate every suggestion offered!:(

- Don't have any money for upgrades.
- No e-Bay (no Paypal account)
- Didn't really need to know about Washington's "curb laws"
- No "free" computers due to "ecycle program"

These are just suggestions...just in case you weren't aware of them. If they're not viable options for you...fine.

I'm not sure how old you are...what your employment situation is, or what your financial situation is...but you seem to have VERY VERY few options. With all of your limitations...it sounds like upgrading this Powermac G4 or buying a better computer is really not going to happen...unless someone drops something free in your lap!

Lots of luck,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
I use a 933 Quicksilver all the time to troll the net. Just use it the way it is. You can always put some flavor of linux on it. Do you have thrift stores there. I saw a slotload Imac today for $25. Someone gave me a 933 Quicksilver back in the summer. You have to be creative.

Reaction score
And the question remains...

Dude, I've got pretty much the same question/problem you do — dual 1GHz QS, resurrected for $5 with a 533 MHz CPU from a DA machine and it works quite well! Booting from a Firewire drive it even runs Leopard smoothly, if a *little* slowly. It's tantalizing to realize how close it is to a full recovery.

But I'm as broke as you are and the only dual 1GHz processors I can find are MDDs and *way* out of my price range. Alas, spending $100 on computers is a crazy dream for me. Besides, anybody can throw money at a technical problem, but we got "obsolete" computers to fix, mod and overclock!

So the question remains: to what extent are G4 processors interchangeable? Obviously they don't have to come from the same model. Bus speed seems to be a consideration but how crucial is it? Since the underlying architecture is as good as QS ever got, and it can obviously handle the speed, what would prevent the transplant?

That's the question. Did you ever find out the answer, at least in this specific case? Does anyone else know?

PS — I live in Washington state, too. Thanks for the info re recycling laws; it helps explain why free computers are so scarce.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.