Default root password?

Reaction score
I have a clean OSX 10.6.7 install. My admin account has no password.
So I'd assume that to access the root via terminal, the password would also be blank? But it's not working...
I've also tried changing my admin password, enabling root user in Directory Services and changing the password there...
But nothing seems to work. I can access any part of my HDD via finder, but not via terminal.

So is there some sort of default password that I don't know about? Or is there any way around this? I need to use the 'sudo' command for various programming tasks, but am always prompted for a password that shouldn't exist.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Try giving yourself a password and use that with sudo. I get the feeling that sudo may require a password (I could be wrong on that one though). If you don't want it to prompt you for a password, take a look here at the NOPASSWD option. Be careful with that though - this is one step closer to unrestricted access to the filesystem which can be dangerous.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Nice find - the Canadian one thanks you. ;)

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the help!
Fixed it by booting up into single-user mode (cmd+s), typing 'visudo' and editing the '/etc/sudoers' file to contain 'NOPASSWD' for both root and admin users. After a quick reboot, everything worked perfectly!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.