Used G3 iBook driving me crazy!

S

steve88

I bought a used G3 iBook to compliment my iMac G5.

I burned a disc of photos on the G5 and went to put on the iBook. First the iBook says to upgrade to newer iPhoto.

I try to upgrade, but it will not because of the older OSX (Jaguar, I think)

So then I try toinstall Tiger disc that came with G5, but it needs my password.

This is used from ebay, and I don;t have the password.

I try to change the password, but the iBook will not here any of it. I followed the directions, and now I can not even get the disc out of it.

What is wrong with this thing? Surely there must be some way to change the password, install Tiger, and upgrade iPhoto, just so I can view my pictures.

Please help! I am very near the point where I see how aerodynamic the iBook is.

OP
L

lil

Be careful about installing another Macs version of the OS that came on the grey restore CDs.

I know someone who tried installing 10.4 which came with their iBook on their G5 iMac and it completely screwed up their machine, and it was very costly for them to fix. To do this on your iBook may cause more problems. Not least that installing the same copy of Tiger on two machines is illegal, the iBook would legally need its own copy.

I'm not sure what iLife '05 requires but that is what you need to upgrade iPhoto. iPhoto 5 is not as free product you can download.

To get the 'password', you need to boot from the iBook's restore CD (hold down c on boot) go to the utilities menu and reset password.

So your iBook G3 doesn't sound like it's doing anything wrong as such.

So you need:

- new copy of Tiger or Panther
- iLife '05.

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
to get your disk out, hold down the mouse button while the computer boots up.. or if that doesn't work, use the paperclip trick.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.