New iMac powers on but won't boot up!

Reaction score
Frustrated and need help! Last week, our brand new (less than two months) iMac turned itself off, and when I went touted it back on, it would not start. There is just a plain black screen. You can hear the power coming on, but it's not booting up. I called apple, who tried to help, but they told me to take it to a repairer....s I di, took it to one of their apple repairers. He told me that there was corrupted files on it, causing it to not boot, and said it was not a warranty thing, so we had to pay $145 to have it sorted. He suggested that we just need to have an external hard drive to back up with time machine? Anyway......fast forward to tonight....it's done the same thing again! Turned itself off and won't boot back up.......any suggestions at all? I'm going to spit chips when I call them tomorrow! TIA

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Good Morning (here in the UK anyway)

You don't say what OS you are running. If Snow Leopard (10.6.8) then see below. If Lion (10.7.2), then others need to help you as I haven't yet upgraded to Lion.

If the iMac is so new and runs on SL, you must have the original Disks that came with it, two in number.

If you put Disk 1 in the tray and boot holding down the "C" key you should be able to boot up from the Disk (instead of your computer's Int HD).

If you succeed, select "Utilities" from the Toolbar, then "Disk Utility". Now carry out the following - First "Verify Disk", then, if prompted, "Repair Disk". This process checks for corrupted files and other problems related to the iMac's Int HD as well as verifying the integrity of the Disk as a whole.

Next, you could try "Repair Disk Permissions".

What you do next depends on the results of your endeavours. All may be fixed and you can reboot in the normal way.

Or, there mat be an unrepairable Disk problem. Or, you might need to re-install your OS X software from your Optical Drive Disk.

So, I suggest you carry out the first parts mentioned at the top and let us know what the results are.

Sorry if you're on Lion because what I've suggested won't help, but it's the best I can offer.

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! We are running Lion, so unfortunately I still have no idea what to do! Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Not a warranty thing? Complain long and loud to Apple.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I hope you didn't pay that money. I agree with Harry-get back on the phone with Apple or just call up your local store and make an appointment.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.