Failed Boot Camp INstallation

Reaction score
I attempted to use Boot Camp Assistant to make a Windows partition. It was something like 60 or 70 percent done and then it just stopped. I waited about half an hour, and no further progress took place. So I closed boot camp assistant, and now it seems that the 40gigs I had allocated for the windows partition has just disappeared, however no Windows partition is available on startup.

So, I'm wondering how I can find where the 40gigs went, and how to get rid of the failed partition so that I remake it.

Thanksin advance for any advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
I believe you can open up Boot Camp Assistant again and restore the Macintosh HD partition. By the way, after doing so, I suggest you use Disk Utility to verify and repair both the disk itself and the permissions. That might not work while you're on OS X, though, so you might want to insert the installation DVD, fire up the computer, hold C when the grey screen appears, and when the installation appears click Utilities (on top) and then use Disk Utility to do what I told you.

When it's done and everything is verified and repaired, you can once again create a Boot Camp partition and hopefully no issues will take place. Also, give it sometime to partition and don't just quit the application if it stops at a certain percentage because you might risk damaging your disk or at least losing all the data on it. Also, you might not want to use the computer (meaning run any applications alongside) while partitioning the disk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.