"Sleep" Won't Sleep, Sort Of

Reaction score
How about this: The past few days, when I select "Sleep" from the pull down menu, or when I select "Sleep" after Logging Out, the machine looks like it is going to sleep, then doesn't. If I select "Sleep" again, either nothing will happen, or it will very suddenly blink off into Sleep. When I close the laptop, it appears to be going to sleep, then the Apple symbol on the lid relights and the machine is On, even though the lid is closed.

I thought a Restart might help, but it didn't.

The only thing I have done recently is update Airport firmware, as per the automatic update software.

Any ideas, guys?

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, Mike.

They seem to make a big deal about resetting the SMC "unless you have tried the other stuff first," so I'll fiddle with it a little.

I forgot to mention that I dropped the power supply thing once. It fell off my 3.5-ft. high desk. I didn't think that was a big deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
It's really not that huge a deal, to be honest. In fact, almost every time I've dealt with their support people, they've had me reset SMC (and PRAM).

The power supply? Just the brick? That shouldn't effect the sleep function. Those things reduce mains voltage to XXw (60w for macbook, 85w for macbook pro.. and I forget what the Air is offhand) @ ~18v DC current. All the intelligence is in the charging circuit of the logic board.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Make sure the Internet Sharing is off. System Preferences>Sharing

I had my MBP closed, on, in a desk drawer for a whole week till I noticed it wouldn't go to sleep anymore and that Internet Sharing keep it awake :\

OP
M
Reaction score
Which of the three resetting methods do I use?

This one: "Resetting the SMC on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own"?

EDIT: I guess so. --->> "Note: Portable computers that have a battery you should not remove on your own include MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and later, all models of MacBook Air, and MacBook (Late 2009)."

OP
M
Reaction score
Follow-Up: I did a Shut Down and Restart. No trouble with the Sleep function so far. Maybe that did the trick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Glad to hear it, sorry.. I'd missed your follow up question :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Something New, Weird & Different

When I wake up the lap top and log in, the screen blinks off for 1.5-2.5 seconds, then blinks on. This happens before the log in is complete.

What I have done so far to address this:
--Restart
--Shut Down
--Reset the SMC.

I am using Apple WiFi tack pad and keyboard.

I don't like this. :Grimmace:

OP
M
Reaction score
^^It might have been caused by the cursor being over the Sleep button, and I did something to send it to Sleep.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.