Eagerly & Nervously Awaiting New iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 2.7 GHz i5, 4 GB RAM, OS X Mavericks, iPad 4, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch Gen 3, Apple TV Gen 2.
Hello folks,

As a lifetime Windows PC user (well, since 1995 anyway) I've decided to make the switch to a new 27" iMac which should arrive in the next couple of days. The nearest Apple Store is over 90 minutes away in Toronto so I had to go the online shipping route.

I'm excited about this change but the extent of my use of Apple products is limited to an iPhone 4 and an iPod Touch so far.

I suppose my biggest fear at this point is trying to figure out how to transfer my iTunes Library over to the Mac so I can sync my iPhone and Touch there from now on. I've been trying to Google some instructions but they've been a bit confusing and have had some differing instructions.

Migrating my contacts, mail and documents will be another challenge. I have some of them backed up on an external HD I used with my PC but I don't know if the Mac will be able to read the HD.

There's so much to learn and judging by what I've been reading here on this wonderful forum, there are many things that I'll have to retrain myself on. Many of them just simple things.

I may need to pick your brains from time to time as I get a grasp of the Mac way of life.

Thanks,

Bundy

OP
Bundy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 2.7 GHz i5, 4 GB RAM, OS X Mavericks, iPad 4, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch Gen 3, Apple TV Gen 2.
Thanks very much for the links. Very interesting and informative. I'm sure it will help with my concerns.

Thanks again Dysfunction (Mike)!

Bundy

Reaction score
I'm very new to mac as well, hasn't even arrived yet but why couldn't you just sync your phone on your PC and then re sync on the imac? With an empty itunes app it should transfer everything to your new machine from the phone including your contacts. This is what I did when I got a new PC 2 years ago, synced on the old machine, downloaded itunes on the new one and then sync on the new one - everything moved over but the maybe one song.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 with 12GB RAM and 2TB HDD, 32 GB iPad 2, 32 GB iPhone 4
Welcome Bundy. You're going to love your new iMac.

I'm in the same boat as you. I've been a PC since around the same time as you and just switched over. I got my Mac a week ago and it's been night and day.

I can't say enough good things about this system/OS and how well everything integrates. It's a dream come true. I'm not trying to get on Windows but it's an amazing difference to see my computer running so smoothly. There's a lot of things to adjust ....these forums are great for help. It's basically been my primary source of info. Here are a couple of other links that I found particularly useful.

9 Essential Resources for Mac Newbies | Mac|Life

Apple - Support - Switch 101

80 Of The Most Useful Mac Tools and Utilities | Mac.AppStorm

50 Essential Mac Apps for OS X Beginners | Mac.AppStorm

As far as bringing over your data....I just used the migration tool. I hooked up my laptop to the mac using an ethernet cable and it transferred my files over without a hitch.

My one recommendation is to stick with the default programs, including Safari. I would download Firefox since it's a great browser but stick with the Apple default programs until you get used to teh system. They tend to be good teaching tools for the OS X while you're getting acclimated. Plus, Safari is awesome too. :)

OP
Bundy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the information and advice. I have my Mac up and running and it is awesome so far but of course I've barely scratched the surface. So much to learn and get a handle on.

I noticed there are updates already waiting for me for a few things. I suppose this works similar to the Windows updates...but perhaps more stable. I'll have to try updating them soon.

It didn't come with iWork so I suppose I'll have to order a copy of that soon as well as the Apple Care protection.

My mind is swirling but with some time I'm sure I'll become more at ease.

Thanks again for the input and advice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.