Preferred networks and connection timeout problem

Reaction score
Looking for a bit of advice regarding my airport and preferred networks.

I've spent ages reading up on forums and threads but I can't seem to find a solution as although people seem to be experiencing similar problems none seem to be the same as mine.

I'm using MAC OS X 10.6.8 on a Macbook. I've had it for a few years and have only recently just started experiencing this problem. After turning on or awakening my mac from sleep, I get the message 'None of your preferred networks are available'. My home network is listed, with a padlock but the wireless strength is showing as only one bar. I am sat right next to the router, and other laptops have no problem connecting to the network or it's strength.

After selecting my preferred network, I am asked to enter my password which is often stored in the type bar, I click connect but I am then faced with a 'Connection time out' message. Needing to get online, I persist clicking on connect after each time out message sometimes 20 - 30 times and it eventually recognises the password. I have no problem with wireless strength or anything once connected but after disconnecting I have to go through the same thing every time. As you can understand this is really annoying, especially as I've never had a problem with it before and it's just come from nowhere.

I've tried re-adding the networks and things but to no avail.
Any help would be more than appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hello,
I 've had shed loads of problems with this issue. There are a bunch of proposed fixes but I would start with updating the firmware on your router first because 10.6.8 may have outpaced things.

Find the the IP address for your router in System Prefs/Internet & Wireless/Network, paste it into a Safari address bar and you should be able to access the utility pane for your router and do a firmware update from there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.