MacBook Air or MacBook Pro? (Music Production / DJ Software)

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for some advice before purchasing an Apple MacBook. Ideally, I am looking to spend around £1000.00 so either the 13-inch MacBook Air (128gb) or the 13-inch MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz) seem to fit the bill.

I will be looking to use music production software (Ableton Live - Ableton - Live 8) and also software for DJ'ing with (Traktor Pro 2 - NATIVE INSTRUMENTS : HOME | HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE FOR MUSICIANS, PRODUCERS, DJS, GUITAR AND BASS PLAYERS)

If anyone has experience of using these software products, or any similiar products, can you advise of the most effective MacBook to purchase within my price range of around £1000.00.

Thanks.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
MBA will be more stable due to flash storage (theres no HDD to take a dive while on set and screw up your performance), but has a less powerful, "watered down" CPU, which isnt as good for production purposes as a "full fat" CPU in a MBP.

CPU power is the most important part of a computer for production.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response Rob.

So the MBA will be better for DJ'ing with?
And the MBP will be better for music production?

Still in a bit of a dilemma. Thinking about going for the 13" MBP 2.4 GHz.

Have you used any DJ software yourself Rob?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Im a producer mainly, i dont do live sets (no talent for beat matching). I played with mixxx a little bit but dont get along with it. Im a pro tools/logic person.

I use a MBP 13" 2.4 and its solid til i start running massive amounts of DSP.

Consider installing an SSD for added stability and speed, but for now buy the best Cpu you can afford.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
you can get a Solid State Hard Drive in the MBP. and it is fully upgradeable in regards to RAM and HDD/SSD. the MBA can never be upgraded.

Reaction score
You need to think about what you want to do the most of. For production, I'd really suggest getting a different machine altogether. If you can put the money together, get the MBA for shows and then see if you can get an iMac or something for production. If money isn't an issue, get a tower.

I have a MBP that I'm currently using for production, and I've used it to play live a couple of times. Had the logic board go out on it once already, but it was fixed easily.

You're going to have CPU issues when you really start to produce. Plug-ins are CPU-suckers! Now if you mainly manipulate audio/beats, then something like Maschine might work for you and it'd save you some CPU power.

It really depends on what you want to do. Just know to download demo plug-ins when you can and test how they tax your system.

Stuff I use: Ableton 8, Pro Tools 8, Reason (not really anymore), tons of plugs including most of Arturia's stuff, Waldorf Largo, Reaktor, Absynth etc.

Hope this helps! :Cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.